Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I was over at a friends last week scouting out digging a trench for him and he offered to give me a 2 wheel Gravely tractor. At the time I said "I really don't need another hobby". However, he said it ran the last time he used it, it has been sitting outside for 4 years and it's free with unknown attachments. He is out of town right now, so I can't ask him more questions.

I know this is not the Gravely thread, but if you ask a Gravely lover if he likes his tractor, I am sure he will say yes. I need a PT owner's perspective. I have always heard good things about these tractors, and I could always give it to my son-in-law if I don't need it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #2  
Dear Bob,

I have used them and liked them. For me they fall in between a push mower and a CUT. If that is what you need, go for it. I've only used the big weed wacker mower and the sickle bar mower versions.

They are simple machines.

It all depends upon what you think your PT isn't doing for you...

All the best,

Peter

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner
I don't have a tiller for my PT, maybe this machine does. I can't justify the cost of a PT version. Do they have enough power? The ratings seem very low.

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #4  
I have a commercial 10 gravely thing is built like a tank good for exercise just do not get in between the handlebars while operateing on rough ground it will beat your hips unmercifully I speak from experience but it mows grass like a bull in a china shop

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #5  
I had a 12 hp Gravely. I sold it after I got my PT. Can't say that I have missed it. MY PT will work on any slope--the original reason I purchased the Gravely--and it is much easier on the user.

That said the Gravely is rugged, simple, and can do lots of things with the appropriate attachment. However, maintaining the old conventional ignition system got to be a chore (on the machine I had adjusting the points for proper dwell was quite difficult).

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #6  
I have 2 Gravely's right now , neither one get used much. The walk behind with dual wheels is only 7.5 hp and it is very powerful. The only attachments I have for it are a brush hog and a cultivator. It sure does give you a work out using it. The second Gravely is an old 12 hp riding tractor with a 50" mower deck, it currently is not running. Both are well built machines.

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #7  
We had a 2 wheel tractor when I was a kid. It had a mower, snow blade and cultivator. As a kid, I loved it, because it was a big, loud machine that did work and I got to operate it. :) It did an O.K. job on the snow, O.K. as a lawn mower and O.K. as a cultivator. However, knowing what I know now:

It was much, much better than manual labor. :D

It was no way, no how anywhere near as good as my PT425 for the tasks I need to do! :D

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner
We had a 2 wheel tractor when I was a kid. It had a mower, snow blade and cultivator. As a kid, I loved it, because it was a big, loud machine that did work and I got to operate it. :) It did an O.K. job on the snow, O.K. as a lawn mower and O.K. as a cultivator. However, knowing what I know now:

It was much, much better than manual labor. :D

It was no way, no how anywhere near as good as my PT425 for the tasks I need to do! :D

That was the kind of idea that I was looking for. For my son-in-law it might be a good tool. He is not handy, but he is bright and learns. He grew up in East Germany and lived in an apartment. Now he has a house and almost an acre. He wants to have a garden. I will take a closer look at this.

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #9  
That was the kind of idea that I was looking for. For my son-in-law it might be a good tool. He is not handy, but he is bright and learns. He grew up in East Germany and lived in an apartment. Now he has a house and almost an acre. He wants to have a garden. I will take a closer look at this.

As a garden tool, it would be pretty nice. I use a walk behind rear tined tiller in our garden and really enjoy the work it saves me. :)

/ Gravely 2 Wheel Tractor for PT 422 Owner #10  

The Gravely rotary plow attachment is an incredible tool for preparing new garden spots -- not for the faint hearted though. It is exactly what it sounds like -- a turning plow spinning around...

b34a_1.JPG