1460 Lift Capacity

/ 1460 Lift Capacity #1  

Yardscaper

Bronze Member
Tractor
Polaris ASL 300, 1959 Economy Tractor
I am looking for real world experience from an owner on lift capacity with the fork attachment. I have owned a 1425, 1430, and a 2445 with backhoe in the past and could at times lift 2400 lbs with the 2445 up to a height of around 3 feet off of the ground. Granted, this was with the weight of the backhoe. I am looking at the 1460 for professional use moving pallets of block weighing in at around 2,900 lbs. I do not need to go any higher than 3 or 4 feet, but will need it to move the pallets around a job site. I had good luck with the Power Trac in the past, just want to make sure that the tractor will handle this sort of lift capacity. Any advice from commercial users would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill

/ 1460 Lift Capacity #2  
Bill,

Lifting 2400 lbs with the 2445 is pushing things a good bit. Although I think the hydraulics could handle this, the limitation, might be on the wheel motors. Even with the BH, that doesn't give any advantage in the lifting ability. Perhaps someone had adjusted the relief valves to get additional load. The lifting ability on any of the PT stuff is probably for occasional lifts, and for safety. Lifting 30 pallets of stone in a day, just might give you the reason to own a fork lift made for that kind of work. On the 1460, I would be looking for failed wheel motors on the front, plus you would have to add some weight on the back to cheat the system., and adjust the relief valves. If you are thinking of doing such a thing, don't post it on here for the PT police to read and refuse any warranty work.

/ 1460 Lift Capacity #3  
I have a 1460 , 2900lbs would not be possible .

/ 1460 Lift Capacity #5  
just from use of the machine, knowing what is being picked up with the forks weight wise.

/ 1460 Lift Capacity
Thanks for the info guys. I was worried about the max lift capacity. My 2445 that I had was a 2002 model. At the time I bought the 2445 trailer package and a 1430 along with it since they both had the same size quick attach and both macines fit on the trailer and were able to share implements. I believe when I bought mine, the 2445 was advertised as having a 2400 lb lift capacity. This was back when the trailer packages had just started. I did not skid large pallets a lot, and never off of a truck, but I would lift and carry heavy loads from time to time.

Concrete,

What is the maximum lift capacity that you have observed with the 1460? I am not trying to tear up a machine here, but I do demand my machinery be able to work near its limits when needed. I am back and forth on what to do on machinery. I may just end up getting a 425 and a used large size skid steer for the heavy lifting.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

/ 1460 Lift Capacity #7  
bill, 2400lbs. minus 500 lbs. or more for bucket 1800 lbs. to 1900lbs. is what I figure. I enlarged the bucket to a for real 20 cubic ft. Forks seem to handle right around 1500lbs. to 1800lbs. Weight of my forks is right around 380lbs.

/ 1460 Lift Capacity #8  
You guys that lift stuff, need to figure what the maximum your system will lift using the different buckets, forks, with weights, dry dirt, wet dirt, pallets of sod dry, and wet, etc,etc. With a chain tied to the rear end, you probably know you can lift more than advertised, but using good logic, you should know that you might stress out the front wheel motors, because that is your pivot point. It is not all about lift. I hope that none of you, think you can exceed the capacity of the machine and expect it to last a long time. You can perhaps redesign things to some degree for a particular job. I don't think PT designs and test the machines to the extreme and back down the stats, to give an acceptable number for sales. Some test of materials and machines are done at 25 to 50 % greater loads than they will ever see.

/ 1460 Lift Capacity #9  
JJ PT pucker kicks in a little before lift capasity is reached. I think skid steers are load rated at half of tipping weight