pt 425 engine and muffler problems

/ pt 425 engine and muffler problems #1  

bubenberg

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT425, Kubota L2050, 3 hydrostatic Exmark mowers. Z21D Kubota ZTR, 2 Kunz acrease wing mowers, 1 rough cut kunz mower, one vintage grasshopper ztr, one vintage gravely ztr, various large garden tracto
it all started about a 125 hours ago when i lost one side of the muffler cover, due to backfiring during the shutdown procedure. after a few minutes i restarted the engine again and worked for a few minutes more. the noise was unbearable even with supper earprotection so i checked under the hood. the cap on the muffler (on the battery side)had blown off. we braised the muffler cap and replaced the melted down battery that night.

the engine started to consume more oil than ever in heavy use loading hundreds of cubic yards of mulch and mowing many acres each week. so we decided to take it to the local kohler engine rep. he indicated that there were several updates that could be performed but he would not be able to do anything until end of june.

well, my swiss temper got the best of me and i called kohler HQ and asked for the engine department. i spoke to a guy by the name of scott mack. he explained that there had been some problem with the engine model installed in the pt 425 but not a recall.

he also explained how to find a well qualified dealer near me. here are the steps. find kohler home page, go to engines, put in the desired mileage from your home, i had to go 40 miles. the reason was that this time i wanted someone that could fix the problem right away and was top qualified. i found an expert kohler dealer ( most qualified and trained according to kohler standards).

according to kohler this is not a recall but they have had problems with the head gasket and intake valve stems. the repairs involve to take the engine out of the pt 425 engine compartment, which added two manhours to the procedure.

kohler paid for the upgrade/snafu, except the additional time to totally remove the engine and my cost was $120.00.

in roaming the other lawncare sites i found this entry of someone attending the kohler upgrade seminar. suggest that you pters read this poste on lawnsite and make the necessary checks on your beasty.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread....threadid=22389&highlight=kohler+engine+recall

we have about 35 hours of heavy use since the repairs in questions and no oil loss any longer.

good luck