Precleaner

/ Precleaner #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
I’ve noticed that I gather a tremendous amount of dust on my PT every time I use it. Therefore, I was considering an upgrade to the extreme duty air cleaner for the Kohler. However, in surfing around, I found a couple “precleaner” sites that make some interesting claims. Anyone used one of these?

Sy-Klone
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.centriprecleaner.com/>Centri</A>

Enginaire has a kit that fits the Kohler but I don’t know the price.

/ Precleaner #2  
My Kohler has a paper filter and a foam pre-filter that gets washed and oiled regularly. I, too operate in very dusty conditions and have found that very little dust has gotten through to the paper filter.

/ Precleaner #3  
I also operate my 422 in very dusty environments. The outside foam precleaner gets dirty, but the inside paper element remains clean. I change the entire filter every 75 hours anyway.

/ Precleaner #4  
I have the Kohler 20 HP vertical-shaft Command engine on my lawn mower and the existing air cleaner just didn't do the job. I cleaned the foam precleaner after session of mowing and changed the paper filter regularly and still dust (dirt) was passing through. Our dry, dusty conditions in Central Texas are hard on engines. I added the extreme-duty air filter and it seems to work well. Kohler doesn't make an adapter kit for the vertical-shaft engine so I had to have the aluminum adapter for the horizontal-shaft engine (the part which mounts over the throat of the carburator) modified so it would mount on the engine. Also, I had to mount the air cleaner outside of the hood. I'm using the 2-inch hose from a Sears Shop-Vac to connect the air cleaner to the engine. The whole project cost me in the neighborhood of $150, but I feel it was worth it to reduce wear on the engine. A bonus is that it sure is nice not having to clean that filthy precleaner anymore.

/ Precleaner
GlennT, was this project on a PT or some other tractor?

I like your use of the vacumn cleaner hose. Good idea!