Patio project - Completed pics!

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
With the exception of a few minor things, the patio project is complete. The last 8 pics are new. What do you think?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/patio.htm>http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/patio.htm</A>

Dave

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #2  
Very nice work Dave! You should be proud as should the dogs /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Care to share a ballpark cost for the bricks and blocks? Thanks /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #3  
Very nice work, Dave. My impression is that you tackled and completed this project in a reasonable period of time....what, five or six weeks total?

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #4  
Dave, great job. I got tired just looking at the progression of pictures. That was a lot of work.
PJ

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #5  
Nice job!
Somehow I suspect you'll think of something else to do with the PT.
Ever solve your carb/governor mystery?

/ Patio project - Completed pics!
Thanks! Let me try to answer all...

Total cost (not including buying and repairing the tractor /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) was around $2500. Used about $1100 worth of retaining wall blocks, about $900 worth of brick pavers, about $150 worth of crush-n-run, $250 worth of screening, $50 worth of masonary adhesive, plus a few miscellaneous expenses.

Yup, took about ~3 days per week for about 6-7 weeks. I learned a few good lessons. If/when I do this again, I'm likely to use mortar/concrete and rectangular wall blocks (ie. like plain cinder blocks, but have the "split face" finish like the ones in the photos on the outside) by stacking them dry, tie-ing them together with rebar, then pouring concrete or mortar into the openings, thus bonding it all together (I've seen pool walls built this way with cinder blocks). These are simply gravity-held stackable retaining wall blocks with the lip on the back (the top course will be glued with masonary cement, I just haven't gotten it done yet). Partially because they are shaped like a trapezoid (looking at one from the top), they are somewhat difficult to get perfectly straight (although curves look nice). Rectangular blocks would be much easier (I think) to get set absolutely perfectly straight.

When I was backfilling the low side, I was a little concerned that with enough rain and weight, the high side of the retaining might possible tumble down. However, I had the 1000 lb tractor up right next to the deck (rolling around to pack down the screening initially), and it didn't budge. The ground was a little wet, and if it didn't fall with the tractor weight on it, then I don't think there's any possibility of it falling. In theory, you can build retaining walls that are up to 3' high with those types of blocks with no mortar or glue (this is about 2').

Nope, I haven't gotten the carb/governor issue resolved, but a buddy who is really good with small engines is coming over Sunday to work on it with me, and sit on the patio and have a few Margaritas.../w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif In fact, there's a long list of stuff I need to do to the DOT:

1) carb/governor problem
2) change engine oil
3) replace steering hoses (dry rotted)
4) add extension hoses to move PTO connections up from bottom front of tractor.
5) fix crack in bucket (I'll either weld it or bolt some reinforcing angle stock on it)
6) Get the hydraulic oil cooler working.
7) Get the hour meter working.
8) Build a mount for the 8" bucket when it gets here.

Dave

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #7  
<font color=red>"1) carb/governor problem
2) change engine oil
3) replace steering hoses (dry rotted)
4) add extension hoses to move PTO connections up from bottom front of tractor.
5) fix crack in bucket (I'll either weld it or bolt some reinforcing angle stock on it)
6) Get the hydraulic oil cooler working.
7) Get the hour meter working.
8) Build a mount for the 8" bucket when it gets here."</font color=red>

OK that takes care of this Sunday. What're you going to do with the 1418 next week? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Patio project - Completed pics!
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Well, since you asked, my wife and I have are first child on the way! About 9 weeks from now, I'll be a daddy! I've got to get started doing a little painting in the baby's room. I'm trying to figure how I can use the tractor to do that. Any suggestions? /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Dave

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #9  
Hey congratulations Dave! Something about having a baby and home improvements isn't there? For our first son I finished the basement and for our second I added a den onto the house. Who says "nesting" is a maternal instinct /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Patio project - Completed pics! #10  
Buy a new bucket and convert the old one into a cradle /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Buy the little one some striped overalls and an engineer's hat.

Decorate the room in JD green (it's close enough to PT green).