My Week For Engine Problems 422

/ My Week For Engine Problems 422 #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
Well after changing the fuel pump, cleaning the choke, and flushing the fuel line the engine runs great. However I noticed that oil consumption is high. It looks like about 1/4 quart of oil in two hours (just a rough guess). There was oil in the engine compartment and on the engine. I power washed it clean as much as possible. There are a lot of leaves and trash in the engine compartment. I then checked for leaks and it looks like it's around the main bearing cover. I tightened all of the bolts on this cover and the one nearest the leak was not tight. I checked again and it is still leaking.

My questions: Has anyone changed this cover on their engine?

Do you have to pull the engine to do this? It might be easier to do this since the engine only weights about 100 pounds. My machine has pumps on both ends of the engine. This may affect pulling the engine.

Is there an oil additive that will help this and not hurt the engine?

I am not ready to do this as I want to see what the oil consumption is with the bolt tightened. Maybe it won't be a big deal.

Thanks for any suggestion you might have.

/ My Week For Engine Problems 422 #2  
Bob, how many hours do you have on that engine? I look at oil leaks as being winter repairs (unless it is spurting out). $3 a quart is not a huge price to pay for hours (hours equal days when I do things) or spinning around the property getting fall chores done...

/ My Week For Engine Problems 422
Bob, how many hours do you have on that engine? I look at oil leaks as being winter repairs (unless it is spurting out). $3 a quart is not a huge price to pay for hours (hours equal days when I do things) or spinning around the property getting fall chores done...

I have 832 hours on it. It's not spurting out, but after 30 minutes of runnning there is about 1/2 cup of oil in the bottom of the pan. I have some time on my hands, but if the leak is not too bad I could wait till it gets worse. I have started logging the oil level and adds. I will probably order a gasket today along with a shaft seal. Actually the grass is growing slowly now, so it would probably be a good time to do it.

I just talked to Terry at Power Trac. He says you can change the gasket without pulling the engine. I ordered the parts from Continental Engines since Power Trac has a $50 lower limit. The parts are around $20. I guess this will be a good Monday task.

/ My Week For Engine Problems 422 #6  
Please, "Take plenty of pix..." ;~)

Please, "Take plenty of pix..." ;~)

OK. Usually I get so involved that I don't. This time I will try real hard. Thanks for the reminder. Ask again on Sunday.