Robin 422 engine main bearing seal gasket replacement

/ Robin 422 engine main bearing seal gasket replacement #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
Well it is done, I replaced the gasket and bearing seal on the rear of the Robin Subaru 22 HP engine. At least one leak has stopped, but there is still some oil coming out of the governor lever shaft seal. I will talk to the parts people on Monday to see what can be done. The manual does not show a gasket.

I will first describe in broad terms what I had to do for this.

1. Remove muffler. Very straight forward.
2. Remove rear pumps. I unbolted these, but did not have room to drop it into the pan.
3. Remove four bolts between the tub (back section of the PT) and the engine mount. The bolts are accessed from underneath the PT and from inside the engine compartment. I had a lot of trash (mostly leaves and oil) in the tub. It helped to remove the cylinder baffle from the left (fuel pump) side of the engine. The baffle (sheet metal cover) had a lot of leaves and oil in it. I ended up cleaning out both sides.

4. I tried sliding the engine forward, but it as blocked by the fuel tank support bracket and one hose from the wheel motor pump. I removed the fuel tank and bracket and loosed the hose.

5. Slid the engine forward about one inch and this was enough room to drop the hydraulic pumps.

Got to go now. More later.

/ Robin 422 engine main bearing seal gasket replacement
To Continue

6. I removed the bolts from the main bearing cover and pulled the cover off. I scraped the gasket off using various devices (razor blade, chisel, and wire wheel on a Dremel Tool to get the last bit off.

I have many pictures. Notice that the engine is centered between two sets of pumps. The back pump which I believe is for the PTO and aux functions (lift, steer, tilt) was the one I dropped. In 004 I have removed the muffler

Attachments

• power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 002.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 002.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 187
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 003.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 003.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 189
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 004.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 004.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 204
In these pictures you can see the leaves in the cylinder baffle and the trash on the cylinder fins. I will try to clean these areas every 250 hours from now on.

Attachments

• power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 006.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 006.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 198
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 008.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 008.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 183
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 010.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 010.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 174
In picture 11 you can see that there is not enough clearance to remove the pump. It is hanging on the Love Joy connector.

In the other pictures I have removed the gas tank and taken two of the four bolts out of the gas tank support bracket. This gave me enough clearance to slide the engine forward and drop the pump. No hoses were disconnected. I should have gone ahead and removed the gas tank support bracket since I had to remove it later in order to turn the engine over by hand when reinstalling the pumps. This helped to align the Love Joy connector.

Attachments

• power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 015.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 015.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 228
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 014.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 014.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 174
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 011.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 011.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 148
There was a lot of dirt and oil on bearing cover near the bearing seal and this makes me think that the bearing seal was leaking. I had planned to replace it anyway. I had actually power washed this area so it is not as dirt as it had been.

Attachments

• power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 016.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 016.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 186
I forgot, but I had to pry up on the engine and put a 1 inch thick block of wood under it to get enough clearance to remove the love joy connector from the engine shaft.

In picture 19 I have cleaned off the gasket. I removed the bearing seal with a punch from the back side of the cover.

I then started reassembly. I used grease on both sides of the gasket to get a little better seal.

Aligning the love job connector took two people. I turned the one on the engine to where one tooth was at 12 o'clock. I rotated the one on the pump to have a notch at 12 o'clock. It was still difficult to put the pump on. I had my neighbor put channel locks on the front of the engine and rock it back a forth while I lifted and pushed the pump on. This took 15 or 20 minutes trying various things. It finally went on.

The rest of reassembly was pretty straight forward. I did clean the cooling fins on the oil filter support. They were completely clogged. The total job took about 3 to 4 hours. I was interrupted several times and had to clean my hands to take pictures. Also I sometimes had to stop and think about the next steps.

Any questions of suggestions?

Attachments

• power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 017.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 017.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 170
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 018.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 018.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 171
  • power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 019.JPG
    power trac bearing seal and gasket replacement 019.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 173
   / Robin 422 engine main bearing seal gasket replacement #7  
In your last pic, the main bearing cover. I see where the pump is connected (in the center) but what is the small gear to the right (in the pic) used for?

Great job on documenting the project.

In your last pic, the main bearing cover. I see where the pump is connected (in the center) but what is the small gear to the right (in the pic) used for?

Great job on documenting the project.

The gear is for the governor. I was a little hasty in posting this I hope I did not mess up too bad.

I found another leak this morning. The pulse line to the fuel pump was leaking at the pump. I put a new hose clamp on it and it looks OK. I am going to power wash the engine again and look for more leaks. The pulse line was dripping about once every two seconds. A pretty big leak.

/ Robin 422 engine main bearing seal gasket replacement #10  
Is that the Pulse Fuel Line?

If so you should replace, not repair if you can...