Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault!

/ Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault! #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
It all started many, many moons ago with "Best Mountain Tractor?" thread ...Now iffy ideas are getting worse. It truly is Charlie's fault. He, Moss and others introduced and encouraged me to consider Power Tracs, but Charlie was the one who suggested I consider entering fleet mode. (he clearly just wanted company in his twisted toy chase). I couldnt scare up the cash to do it his way so I opted for older equipment and a steep learning curve of morphing into a back woods mechanic. He should apologize or at least offer to pay for my therapy

My 2445 is currently still down yet I'm seriously chasing down used 1850's. I've had enough really quality seat time to rationalize the days of being shoulder deep in hydraulic hoses AGAIN looking for which hose to replace. As a PT fool I accept that repairs and maintenance are kind of like computer issues. I'd rather learn what I need to handle it

Why an 1850? Did I mention most of our 75 acres are steep? Primary purpose will be slope mowing, but we have projects like fencing that my 2445 can't handle but the 1850 could. I'm convinced the 45 HP isn't enough and I like the idea of extra power. I already own a gaggle of attachments that would fit. I'm tired of contracting out the mowing. Very few want to tackle it. Last guys did a great job but are out of the business. Now it's overgrown. We need our own gear. The idea of brakes really appeals to me. The idea of chasing wild turkeys whilst eating chaff is oddly appealing. Cigars and diesel smoke go together. I've heard the odd shifting seat reduces belly fat...I could go on

Having followed breadcrumbs kindly left by MChalkley, Charlie, Sedge, JJ and others, I would also undertake alterations to respiratory and circulatory and electrical systems, add tool boxes, etc. Irrespective of what or where we buy, I'm compiling a list of questions - from the rubber up, to become as aware as possible of what we're getting into. I'm aware of the two listed at PT site. The old one has been used as a skidder the 2005 package is sweet 'bout perfect, but? (insert "if I were a rich man" music from fiddler on the roof here)

Input is hereby solicited

Last edited:
   / Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault! #2  
It has been 9 months since I have sat on my PT 1850. I am having major withdrawals. I doubt i would buy an 1845, given the HP difference. That 65HP appears to make this tractor a real billygoat.

Order lots of spare tires. Enjoy the big black bar blocking your view as your neighbors stare at you going how in the heck does he do that...

As a side note though, I am not sure how far your slopes go, but what about a track hoe wtih a cutter? The city has one and it does the sever roadside slopes with it... I say this not to talk you out of the 1850 which is great, it is just that you have a PT allready, maybe a track hoe would add to your companies value more...

/ Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault! #3  
He should apologize or at least offer to pay for my therapy

In time, you will come to the realization that the Power Tracs are your therapy. The only remaining task will then be to diagnose your illness.:D

Saturday morning, we drove four posts with the post driver on the 1845, in ten minutes, to replace the fence I'd ripped out with the 1845 in order to get tow chains and straps to the Z71 pickup truck and the 2240 John Deere which were head down-tail up over a 40 degree bank. The 1845 and my pickup pulled the stranded vehicles up and out, and no one was hurt. :)
If I'd had an 1850, I probably could have pulled them without the truck hooked to the front of the PT.
Slope mowing with the 1850 will do your job, but with the front mower you may want to poke a hole in your dust mask for the cigar.:cool:

/ Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault! #4  
Charlie...

What is this about a tractor in the ditch? You have to have pictures to share....

/ Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault! #5  
Sorry. No pictures. Probably four cell phone cameras on the scene and no one thought to take them out of pockets.
Mostly, it was old guys like me who forget the camera's even there. The only young one had an IPhone, but since he had deposited both vehicles over the bank, I doubt he wanted to preserve the scene.

/ Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault! #7  
It all started many, many moons ago with "Best Mountain Tractor?" thread ...Now iffy ideas are getting worse. It truly is Charlie's fault. He, Moss and others introduced and encouraged me to consider Power Tracs, but Charlie was the one who suggested I consider entering fleet mode. (he clearly just wanted company in his twisted toy chase). I couldnt scare up the cash to do it his way so I opted for older equipment and a steep learning curve of morphing into a back woods mechanic. He should apologize or at least offer to pay for my therapy

My 2445 is currently still down yet I'm seriously chasing down used 1850's. I've had enough really quality seat time to rationalize the days of being shoulder deep in hydraulic hoses AGAIN looking for which hose to replace. As a PT fool I accept that repairs and maintenance are kind of like computer issues. I'd rather learn what I need to handle it

Why an 1850? Did I mention most of our 75 acres are steep? Primary purpose will be slope mowing, but we have projects like fencing that my 2445 can't handle but the 1850 could. I'm convinced the 45 HP isn't enough and I like the idea of extra power. I already own a gaggle of attachments that would fit. I'm tired of contracting out the mowing. Very few want to tackle it. Last guys did a great job but are out of the business. Now it's overgrown. We need our own gear. The idea of brakes really appeals to me. The idea of chasing wild turkeys whilst eating chaff is oddly appealing. Cigars and diesel smoke go together. I've heard the odd shifting seat reduces belly fat...I could go on

Having followed breadcrumbs kindly left by MChalkley, Charlie, Sedge, JJ and others, I would also undertake alterations to respiratory and circulatory and electrical systems, add tool boxes, etc. Irrespective of what or where we buy, I'm compiling a list of questions - from the rubber up, to become as aware as possible of what we're getting into. I'm aware of the two listed at PT site. The old one has been used as a skidder the 2005 package is sweet 'bout perfect, but? (insert "if I were a rich man" music from fiddler on the roof here)

Input is hereby solicited
I would also indeed go with the 1850. More horsepower and climbing power.

That used 2005 1850 seems like a good deal for the hours and what you get.
I found that other 1850 on another site, that thing must be rough. Over 12,000 hours on it! :eek:

I also saw a couple months back a 1997 1850 with around 800 hours that went for only $2,200 on proxibid.

/ Looking at used 1850's - its Charlie's fault!
customizing dust mask may be easy...looks like this one comes with a potential cigar port...

Attachments

• respirator.jpg
    respirator.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 124
If I'd had an 1850, I probably could have pulled them without the truck hooked to the front of the PT.

Aside from retrieving wayward trucks and tractors, have you found power of 1845 wanting?

It has been 9 months since I have sat on my PT 1850. I am having major withdrawals. I doubt i would buy an 1845, given the HP difference. That 65HP appears to make this tractor a real billygoat.

Order lots of spare tires. Enjoy the big black bar blocking your view as your neighbors stare at you going how in the heck does he do that...

As a side note though, I am not sure how far your slopes go, but what about a track hoe wtih a cutter? The city has one and it does the sever roadside slopes with it... I say this not to talk you out of the 1850 which is great, it is just that you have a PT allready, maybe a track hoe would add to your companies value more...

I'd love to have a hoe and we have many projects where one would come in handy. Mowing six acres with one is not on my want list though. And fortunately, I have a landscaper friend/ neighbor with one just 1.5 miles down the lane...