And you say I don't maintain my equipment

/ And you say I don't maintain my equipment #1  

RegL

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 1430
By the way, has anyone found good tires for the swivels on the front of the brush hog? I've been using solids from TSC that worked pretty good but I mowed some rough ground yesterday and they did not hold up. I'm beginning to think solid steel.

Attachments

• Grass on brush hog.jpg
    Grass on brush hog.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 274
   / And you say I don't maintain my equipment #2  
Reg,

I like your portable lawn.

/ And you say I don't maintain my equipment #3  
After dealing with PT's crappy fixed plastic rear wheels and pneumatic front casters I installed a Caroni caster wheel kit. After a while I changed over to smaller solid wheels and had no problems at all. Everything worked great !!

Last edited:
   / And you say I don't maintain my equipment #5  
By the way, has anyone found good tires for the swivels on the front of the brush hog? I've been using solids from TSC that worked pretty good but I mowed some rough ground yesterday and they did not hold up. I'm beginning to think solid steel.
Yes. I have the 48" brush hog for our PT425. I went to a local hand truck dealer that also specializes in casters. I found some solid hand truck tires of the same width and O.D. of the PT pneumatic tires. However, the axle hole was 1/4" larger. They had bushings to fit the gap. So I put them on and have never had a problem since. In fact. I like them so much I move them between my brush hog and snow plow. I wanted to get another set, but the dealer closed and move two towns over. If I remember, I will try to get the brand and dealer names this weekend.

One nice thing for me is that my brush hog, finish mower and snow plow all use the same wheel on a yolk on a stick design. I have 6 total assemblies. So I have 4 pneumatics and 2 solids mounted and to pneumatic spare tires handy.

Someone here have me a tip about over-inflating the pneumatic tires to keep them on the rim. That seems to work on our finish mower, however, once in a while I still pop one off. I really should just convert them all to solids. I could tube them, I suppose, but am so happy with the solids that I'd rather spend the extra money and never worry about them again.

/ And you say I don't maintain my equipment #6  
There was some talk in one of the other sections about doing your own foam filling on tires. With these being so small (Mine aren't that small but) maybe it would be an inexpensive solution...

/ And you say I don't maintain my equipment #7  

I long ago replaced the crappy wheels in my rough cut mower with solid phenolic caster wheels in the back and solid rubber commercial mower wheels in the front and haven't had a flat since :) It boggles the mind that PT continues to use those junk wheels everywhere.

PT-1845 Rough cut mower

Sedgewood

/ And you say I don't maintain my equipment #8  
After dealing with PT's crappy fixed plastic rear wheels and pneumatic front casters I installed a Caroni caster wheel kit. After a while I changed over to smaller solid wheels and had no problems at all. Everything worked great !!
That looks great! Was it very expensive to do?

/ And you say I don't maintain my equipment #9  
That looks great! Was it very expensive to do?

The cost was somewhere around $550.00 with the solid wheels.

Last edited: