PTO Solenoid Valve Repair

/ PTO Solenoid Valve Repair #1  

SpringHollow

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1850, NH 2120
My PTO was not working. After much troubleshooting, I concluded the PTP pump worked but the control valve was not. Here is a link to the repair of the solenoid valve which saved me almost $300:

PTO Solenoid Repair

Ken

/ PTO Solenoid Valve Repair #2  
OK, I did not understand how you got the Upper and Lower apart.

This is exactly what went south on my PT. But mine was clogged with debris. I didn't know / think they could fail. Do you know why?

Carl

/ PTO Solenoid Valve Repair
Hi Carl,

It wasn't pretty - vise grips clamped VERY tight to the shaft at the first set of ports (pto ports) and a wrench on the hex where it threads into the valve body. It took a fair amount of force.

I think mine failed from lack of use allowing things to gum up. Right now, my PTO just does not get used much for most of the year.

Ken

/ PTO Solenoid Valve Repair #4  
So how did you not mar up the valve with the vice grips? I did not see any marks on it whatsoever...

/ PTO Solenoid Valve Repair
I know, it amazed me. Especially since I started off trying to use the least pressure I could and so it slipped. I clamped above the port holes as much as possible.

The two valves are different colors - this one looks like stainless, the other brass colored.

Did you keep your old valve?

Ken

/ PTO Solenoid Valve Repair #6  
So why don't you guys just take a short piece of hose and put QD's on it and plug into the PTO outlets, and cycle that PTO valve often as you like. I believe it will keep it operational. Will also help keep it clean. Someone even put a filter in that hose, and can filter the hydraulic fluid at a faster rate.

You could change out the electric valve, to the valve below, which is a manual valve that will let you set any speed on the PTO. What fluid you don't use goes back tank. Just need to add a relief valve. The valve lever rotates from off to anything in between, and full on.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009092808502008&item=9-4169-12&catname=hydraulic

/ PTO Solenoid Valve Repair #7  
I was able to repair the valve, it just had broken up hose pieces in it (little black pieces of plastic) that jammed it up.. Too bad I orderd a $100 electro magnet. The wife likes detail work and sat down with jewelers gear and plucked it all out... love that woman... I was beating it with a hammer.

JJ, that solenoid block is complicated. It also handles the flow for lift/tilt/dump, although it is a seperate cicuit.

I operate my PTO a lot so not have the same issue, although I am still suprised by Kens problem as there is so much oil in this area and a lot of pressure. You can flip the switch and activate the pto, it will just bog the engine and bypass back into the tank.

For me the next money spent on my PT outside of repairs will be to create a left side handle to run open and close on the grapple. But that is $250 away...