425 Starter Problem Info.

/ 425 Starter Problem Info. #1  

Carpenter

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425, Kubota L39 TLB
A friend was having starter problems with his 425. After going through 3 starters, he finally discovered that his ignition switch was corroded (machine stored out in the weather) and sticking on causing his starter to keep running and burn up. The last I heard he had changed the ignition switch and all was well. I don't have any more details. I just thought I'd pass it on FYI.

/ 425 Starter Problem Info. #2  
The switch is going out on my Kohler-powered 425 (December 2000 delivery date) at about the 600 hour point. It will sometimes not make sufficient contact for the starting circuit, though the fan comes on, etc. It's done that to me a couple times now. Haven't had it stick in the "on" position though, draining the battery.

That's on my "to be fixed list"... it appears to just be an aftermarket lawnmower ignition switch. This reminds me that I should follow up with my friend in Tennessee, where it is stored. He was going to replace it...

/ 425 Starter Problem Info. #3  
I just wanted to add a little humor:

When I got my PT, I gave my Pug -- not a dog, but an articulated little tractor close to the size of the PT but with a bench seat and a stakebed -- to a friend.

He left it outside. Rain got into the ignition switch (one similar to PT's). They were sitting around having some brews one afternoon and the Pug started cranking over, trying to start.

They thought it was haunted. He disconnected the battery and it took some time before they figured out why it was doing that.

Phil

/ 425 Starter Problem Info. #5  
I just wanted to add a little humor:

When I got my PT, I gave my Pug -- not a dog, but an articulated little tractor close to the size of the PT but with a bench seat and a stakebed -- to a friend.

He left it outside. Rain got into the ignition switch (one similar to PT's). They were sitting around having some brews one afternoon and the Pug started cranking over, trying to start.

They thought it was haunted. He disconnected the battery and it took some time before they figured out why it was doing that.

Phil

Did you post pictures of that before? A Jacobson, perhaps? If not, I'm sure a lot of folks would like to see it. ;)

/ 425 Starter Problem Info. #6  
Did you post pictures of that before? A Jacobson, perhaps? If not, I'm sure a lot of folks would like to see it. ;)

Nope, no pics. I shoulda taken some. I did a google search and found that the PUG was manufactured by Bruce Manufacturing in Bruce WI. I also saw some posts at an antique tractor site about them and that the poster had been trying unsuccessfully to find pictures.

Most of them were 4WD tho mine was 2WD as it was originally purchased as a groundskeeping machine for the local college. Mine came with a cab and doors but I took those off immediately. IIRC the engine was a Wisconsin.

The best thing was the bench seat that carried two adults comfortably. In one of my early posts after buying a PT I asked what the rest of you do to carry a second person and got that GREAT pic of a PT with a saddle on the mini-hoe (wish I'd copied that pic Charlie Iliff posted but it's no longer there).

Phil

/ 425 Starter Problem Info. #7  
Is this the PUG you are talking about.

Attachments

• zbadl_shot1.jpg
    zbadl_shot1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 358
   / 425 Starter Problem Info. #8  
There are some neat videos of them on Youtube. One has tracks. :)

But I don't know if they have starter problems.... sorry for the thread hi-jack! :eek: