50 Hour PT Service

/ 50 Hour PT Service #11  
<font color=green>Noticed some paint problems on the tractor just to the inside of the front wheels</font color=green>

MR and others,
Check the top of your ROPS too. I noticed this weekend that the paint has bubbled and chipped away on top of the canopy above where the weld beads hold it to the roll over structure. Does anyone know what type of black paint PT uses?

Scott

/ 50 Hour PT Service #12  
Sherwin Williams machine black and machine green. There is a post here somewhere about the actual part number. Also, someone mentioned that John Deere green is pretty close for the green.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #13  
Scott, I noticed this on my PT as well. Its like they welded the top on after it was painted. I don’t this is actually what happened or it would be much worse. Anyway, mine was already repaired when I got the tractor.

PT told me that any Flat Black would work. This isn't entirely true as there are certainly differences, but, hey, its a tractor. I found that Rustolium John Deere Green works. I would stick with Rustolium if you can find it. Don't know if the other "John Deere Green" formulations will match. For whats its worth, my Sherwin Williams only sold Machine Green by the gallon and I had to wait to get that.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #14  
<font color=blue> A number of you were very close to your 50 hour service...Would appreciate any feedback concerning how this went with updates and observations. PJ </font color=blue>

Paul,

I've tried to keep it a secret, but I guess you somehow found out! Yes, it is true, I now have almost reached the 50 hours of service mark /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif, although so far I only have about a fourth of that amount of time actually operating!

I just ordered a rebuild kit from PT for the main hydraulic cylinder on the backhoe and will tackle that soon, so I may become the first to reach 100 hours of service (I would argue that bubenberg's hours don't all count cause his is in commercial service, so to be expected). Despite the excessive grease monkey time, I'm an enthusiastic PT owner and hope soon to be able to report more favorable "operating" results in detail.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #15  
wasabi: <font color=red>so I may become the first to reach 100 hours of service</font color=red>

Beatcha to it. I did my 100 hour service July 4 on the 1845 and the meter now reads in the mid 130s. But then I may be disqualified as about 30-40 hours of that is commercial time.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #16  
In re-reading it, my lame attempt at humor was too subtle to have been clear....I was actually referring to the number of hours I have spent "servicing" our machine rather than elapsed "operating" hours.

I bought my machine used with about 950 hours on the meter, so I'm beyond the 50, 100, 500, etc., marks and also long out of warranty. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif...

I only wish I had as many operating hours as you guys, and although I'm pleased with the value I purchased and I fully expected to do some maintenance work, I'm ready to get on with it...

/ 50 Hour PT Service #17  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Now that I've done it once, the next time I do 50 HR I will lay down some very absorbant paper towels in the bottom of the engine compartment before removing any filters. Should make cleanup a breeze.

<hr></blockquote>

MR, That's exactly what I did. I put a bunch of paper towels under the hyd. filter and it helped considerably. Trying to catch the oil from the horizontal oil filter was a little more challenging.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #18  
Just did mine an hour ago.....

The first thing I recommend is that you print out Mossroad's 50hr service description. This is the exact step by step procedure on how to do it. Without this I would have been lost. The factory doc is a little sparse in respect to this. Thanks Mossroad. From his description I also realized I needed some sort of bleeder hose which apparantly I did not get when I first received the PT....

The only gotchas for me were:

1) When fitting the new filter back on with it full of oil, it's a tight fit to get it in there. I ended up spilling a little oil on the outside which made it as splippery as soap. Well it slipped out of my hands and spilt half the oil back out. Don't remove the paper towels until you are completely finished. The second try was more successful /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

2) The cap where you attach the bleeder hose was so tight the actual fitting it screwed onto also came loose. I had to squeeze another wrench in their so I could get leverage to take the cap off without removing the whole fitting....

All and all it was quite simple even for a mechanically challenged person like me. Don't forget to read Mossroad's service description...

/ 50 Hour PT Service #19  
Your welcome. Glad it helped someone besides me /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

For anyone that's interested, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=powertrac&Number=159739&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=> Click here for the link to that 50 hour service description </A>