50 Hour PT Service

/ 50 Hour PT Service #1  

pajoube

Veteran Member
Tractor
Former Owner PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)
A number of you were very close to your 50 hour service. Would appreciate any feedback concerning how this went with updates and observations.
PJ

/ 50 Hour PT Service #2  
50 hour service went really well. I changed the hydraulic filter and bled the system with no problems. I also changed the engine oil(although not required at that time) to Mobil1. Everything appears tight and in good working order so far. Gave it a bath with simple green. Noticed some paint problems on the tractor just to the inside of the front wheels. The paint has little pin head sized dots and it appears to be light rust where the paint has the dot in it. Don't know if it is from bad paint prep at the factory or if it is from rocks slowly chipping away at the paint. When I get the time, I will pull the wheels off and inspect it, as I can only see a little behind the tire right now. Either way, It will be an easy repair, as it is a flat surface of heavy steel. Can you say "grinder wheel" followed by clean, prime and paint /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I'll document as I go, but don't wait around. I have lots to do until the end of August. Still want to get my upper lights, reverse lights and a few minor mods done as well.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #3  
MR,

I have some lights to mount as well. Are you intending to run the wires on the inside or outside of the ROPS bars? I find myself resting a hand on the ROPS bars frequently (don’t have arm rests like you) and it would be nice to not have any wires in the way. Also, it would look better cosmetically if the wires were out of sight. However, it may not be easy to feed them inside the ROPS.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #4  
Here's a diagram of what I plan on doing electrically.

I'm going to tack weld small brackets under the canopy for headlights, flashers, a 12v aux outlet and a 4 switch box. Also, I'll tack weld some tubing up one side of the ROPS and run mulit-conductor cable inside that from a fuse block under the dash up to the switch box. I'll probably tack some more tubing under the canopy between the light locations to put the wires in as well. I found some 7 conductor wire. I only need 5 going up, so I'll have two spares. I might use one for a ground, if needed.

Attachments

• 54-172058-pt425elec.jpg
    54-172058-pt425elec.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 129
   / 50 Hour PT Service #5  
thanks mr, handed the diagram over to my engineering department for execution, procurement and installlation. the only thing i have not hired anyone in these departments. so this fall before leaf season we will (i) do it ....thanks again
hr

/ 50 Hour PT Service #6  
<font color=blue>the only thing i have not hired anyone in these department. so this fall before leaf season we will (i) do it</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ 50 Hour PT Service #7  
Paul,
I updated my on-going review at my website. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pt425.godollei.net> Click here to get to my homepage</A> and go to the review page.

/ 50 Hour PT Service #8  
PJ, I did mine a while back, it was fairly simple. I think MR covered it pretty well in another post. The tight quarters make "wrenching" and cleaning up the unavoidable spills a bit hard. I was a little concerned about bleeding the hydraulics, but it was very simple. You can probably do the whole thing in less than an hour. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ 50 Hour PT Service
MossRoad,
Well done on your home page. This is one site that I give out on a regular basis.
PJ

/ 50 Hour PT Service #10  
Now that I've done it once, the next time I do 50 HR I will lay down some very absorbant paper towels in the bottom of the engine compartment before removing any filters. Should make cleanup a breeze.