Cold Weather Starting

/ Cold Weather Starting #1  

PABenz

Tractor
Power Trac / 422
I wonder if anyone every tried this one.......I warmed my spark plugs by putting them in a mug of boiling water for about five minutes then dried them off, put them back in the motor and the 422 fired right up. I keep my PT on a trickle charger, but if I go a few weeks without starting it and it's below 20F, I sometimes have problems getting it going and have to use the heavy duty charger.

I bought an extra pair of plugs and will keep them in my warm house and see if it makes a difference next time. I wonder if my prewarming experience was just a coincidence or if it helped. It only takes a minute to switch out so it might be worthwhile. Does anyone else there think having prewarmed plugs could help with starting a very cold engine?

I have plowed more during the past 2 weeks then all of last winter and am thankful to have my PT. Good luck to all in these cold months
Joe

/ Cold Weather Starting #2  
Yesterdays older engine use to put plugs in oven,also turn lights on for few seconds than shut off before starting.

/ Cold Weather Starting #3  
In days long ago during cold winter weather when required to start one of the single cylinder pump jack engines it was not uncommon to remove the plug and heat it up with a match or lighter to aid in the starting procedure.:D

/ Cold Weather Starting #4  
In days long ago during cold winter weather when required to start one of the single cylinder pump jack engines it was not uncommon to remove the plug and heat it up with a match or lighter to aid in the starting procedure.:D

Back in those days, most guys had a Zippo lighter in their pockets and knew what to do with it. :D:D

/ Cold Weather Starting #6  
MossRoad.
"You guys had fire?"

Easy there tadpole. :p ;)

/ Cold Weather Starting #8  
Back in our youth we discovered the fire making procedures!:D

I think it was your late youth when you discovered it. Sorry, I could not resist.

/ Cold Weather Starting #9  
I think it was your late youth when you discovered it

It might well have been as I wasn't as fast as most. But come to think of it many still think I act like a youth.:D

/ Cold Weather Starting #10  
Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

My older sister called me a pipsqueak for a similar comment last month. :)