Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tractor
    PT-425

Default Post Hole Digger vs Auger

Whats the difference between the post hole digger and the auger attachments? Can you use just the auger to dig holes or do you attach it to the post hole digger?

Can anyone give me an explanation and if you have pictures of either I would love to see them...

Sorry if this is a stupid question....

Thanks

Tractor
    L4310hst-loader-hydraulic top link

Default Re: Post Hole Digger vs Auger

Here is a picture of my Danuser phd. The digger is the yellow part and the auger is the screw looking thing.

The key to any digger and how well it works is the auger and what style of teeth it has.

Gordon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor

Here is a close up of the cutting teeth on the auger. They are replaceable as is the center point.

Gordon

Tractor

All right last one here is a picture of the auger.

The red flag should be over soon on the nascar race.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] But my man #8 is bad off. But should be able to get back into the race and at least finish.

Hope this helps. This is a pto driven phd.

Gordon

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

On the 400 series, the post hole digger attachment appears to have a side pivot and appears to be capable of digging 6" to 18" holes.

The planter drill head, which is listed as fixed(I'm assuming, not side pivoting) appears to be able to dig 14" to 30" holes.

I do not know if the augers are interchangeable, but, by looking at the pictures that I'm linking to, and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.power-trac.com/images/601pix/30auger.jpg>the planter drill motor do not appear to be the same unit. Notice the different locations for the hudraulic hoses.

Also, the post hole unit appears to be $600.00 and the planter drill appears to be $1100.00

Tractor

Oops sorry, my three point hitch phd is pto powered not hydraulic. It gets the job done though. Wish I did have a hydraulic unit, maybe some day oh and while I'm wishing a post driver to go along with it. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gordon

Tractor
    Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II

Deadstick: are you referring to two different listings on some PT price sheets, which list some augers separately from the post hole augers?
    Power Trac offers two types of power head for augers. One swivels in all directions and is the post hole digger. The other, as I understood it, only swivels in one plane, and is used for the larger augurs, for planting trees and bushes, etc. I haven't a clue why they would be different, and I may have misunderstood when I was told the difference, since I was only interested in the post hole digger.
    If that's your question, I think a call to PT may be in order.

Tractor
    PT-425

Thanks guys for your responses and pictures... I a little more edumakated now [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2650

I asked about the difference when I was at PT to pick up mine. Charlie is exactly right, the planter head is for larger augers. As Sean explained it to me, the added torque of the larger augers requires the head that isn't full-swivel. The full-swivel head on the post hole auger allows you to drill a vertical hole on a hillside, but will move around too much with the larger augers. I think the planter head also has a larger motor.

Scott

Tractor
    Power Trac 1845 and 425

I think the PT "post hole digger" also turns a lot faster than the "planter head." I suspect this is because the planter head requires more torque to screw the larger augers. May also explain why it is fixed, rather than pivoting. I have the PT PHD with an 18” auger but I haven’t tried it out yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast