Silver Member

Default Exhaust overhaul

I have not posted in some time but I read this board almost daily. I get great info and ideas for all of you. Thanks!

It's cold as heck down here in South Louisiana, some folks think **** is freezing over cause the Saints may finally go to the Super Bowl, so I am pulling my winter maintenance. I'm doing mostly routine stuff but one thing I am doing is overhauling the exhaust on my 422. I got really tired of the excess heat generated by the standard PT exhaust system and the noise so I'm trying a little custom stuff.

What I landed on is a piece of 1 5/8" exhaust pipe, two 1" nipples, and two generic 1" screw on mufflers, the big round ones. What I am doing is cutting the PT square tubing just past the second cylinder and will sedge up the 1" to the 1 5/8". That runs out the same notch that is cut in the cover. Once outside the cover I built a manifold with the two nipples welded into it and the mufflers will attach there. I figure I am at least doubling the exhaust path by doing this. I also picked up some exhaust wrap and plan to wrap the whole exhaust manifold out to the mufflers.

I should have pictures in a day or two and will post them. I'm hoping for a much cooler and quieter 422. Wish me luck!

Silver Member

Default Re: Exhaust overhaul

OK, I did a bit more today. Here is what I have so far. With a bit more welding I'll be ready to try her out. So what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img00062-jpg   -img00063-jpg   -img00064-jpg  

Elite Member

Looks good.

That's alot of weight out on the end of that, you thought about some type of support ?
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

It probably weighs quite a bit less then the OEM PT 1/4" steel box muffler he took off.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Tractor
    PT 425

How did you make out, is it quieter than the OEM muffler? I would love to find something quieter.

Tractor
    Bobcat B200 TLB

You need some volume, preferably something with some fiberglass inside to take the edge off. Take a drive to the exhaust shop and try a 3 way muffler, and if possible add an outlet pipe 2 feet long. If the muffler can be connected to the engine with flex hose, this allows the muffler to be hard mounted on the frame, perhaps with a vertical stack.

Alternatively, look at places like smallenginewarehouse.com for mufflers off the Honda and Robin engines. They have better mufflers out the box.

Silver Member

Well I finally finished this up over the weekend and tried it out. It is a bit quieter but not as much as I had hoped. The tone is much better and I must say the engine runs better. It is easier to start, seems to run cooler and has no backfires! I'd say it was worth it.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT1445

Dear SwampmanLA,

Many congratulations! It sounds really successful. Are you going to post photos?

An engine that starts easier, runs cooler and doesn't have backfires sounds like a great reason to have done it.

On a separate thread, I saw a home video of someone that had welded a cheap $20 automotive muffler on some flex hose to connect it to his generator with a slip fitting. It knocked 30-40dBa off the generator noise. I have a similar model that is loud at the 60' distance.

All the best,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by SwampmanLA View Post
    Well I finally finished this up over the weekend and tried it out. It is a bit quieter but not as much as I had hoped. The tone is much better and I must say the engine runs better. It is easier to start, seems to run cooler and has no backfires! I'd say it was worth it.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    PoiwerTrac 2445

I had to build a muffler for a 6 wheel swamp buggy I had one time. We used pipe stuffed with metal shavings. I believe they were SUS. The over size & shavings dropped the pressure & the shavings cooled th gas flow a little. Worked pretty good. The engine was quieter than the drive chains. The shavings might last longer than fiberglass.
    Rgds,
    tim
    "It's only Me 'n I'm home from the Sea..."