Sick PT422

/ Sick PT422 #1  

maujerpt422

Tractor
2003 PT 422
I've been away from thread for awhile, no internet. My 2003 422 with 1000 hours (Robin engine) on it started acting up early summer, I asked the mechanic what might be the problem and he told me to switch to high test gas. Ran good the rest of the summer. In November it got hard to start and the last time I used it I was liftimg large pieces of wood on to spliter. The folling Saturday (Dec.5) I started it and took it to repair shop (very hard to start couldn't choke or give any gas) they think head gasket blown on left cylinder, upon further examination found left cylinder cooling fins packed full of grass(right side clean) this caused the heat to build up and warp the head, the mechanic could pull the valve and guide out of the head with his fingers.The new head finally came in today, shop said it came all the way from Japan.I changed out the battery also it was the original, 60 month 480 CCA Interstate was still working, but since the muffler was off, and thinking that would be next. I've never had any engine problems other some small electrical until now. I do all of required maintenance I change oil & filter every 100 hours.

/ Sick PT422 #2  
Before you pull the trigger, have you ballanced the cost of this repair v a new engine all together? While a 1000 hrs is not a ton of time it is still enough to wear down an engine.

/ Sick PT422
It cost $700.00 to repair, plus $35.00 for new battery (I know the interstate battery guy). Small Engine Warehouse wants $1,600.00 to $1,900.00 for new engine. This is the first major problem I've had with this engine.

/ Sick PT422 #4  
Maujer, do you know the number on the battery and group size? My battery is five years old. I cannot read the number. Also do you have the older PT422 with pumps behind and in front of your engine. It sounds like you do.

/ Sick PT422 #5  
maujerpt422, I hate to hear of your troubles, and even more so I would hate to have to make the decision that you are going to have to make a rebuild or nearly half way to a new engine. I wish you the best in what ever rout you take.

/ Sick PT422 #6  
Very sorry to hear of your troubles.

You could potentially buy an engine from someplace like SmallEngineWarehouse dot com.

A Honda 24HP Twin would be about $100-1400, depending on config.

I personally would prefer a Honda. I agree 1000 hours isn't a huge amount, but enough where I would consider plopping in something brand-spanking-new for double the amount.

Since these things use air to cool, you do need to keep the fins scrupulously clean to avoid problems like this. I check mine after each and every job, especially mowing, since it gets grass EVERYWHERE. In fact, I remove the air cleaner cover (I have a Kohler, don't know how the Robin engines are) and I use a leaf blower to 'reverse flush' all the junk out of the cooling passages. Sometimes a fair amount comes out.

-Rob :)

/ Sick PT422
It is an Interstate "I-43" 480 CCA 65 month the guy told me it was the same as a Honda car battery. Yes I have the older style with the pump on both sides of the engine, and the battery is in the rear corner under the muffler. I got the unit before they changed to one sterring cylinder. I also have an aux. cooling fan on the right side which pulls air through the engine compartment, I added this shortly after I got it, I run it all of the time unless I'm useing the lights.

/ Sick PT422 #8  
It is an Interstate "I-43" 480 CCA 65 month the guy told me it was the same as a Honda car battery. Yes I have the older style with the pump on both sides of the engine, and the battery is in the rear corner under the muffler. I got the unit before they changed to one sterring cylinder. I also have an aux. cooling fan on the right side which pulls air through the engine compartment, I added this shortly after I got it, I run it all of the time unless I'm useing the lights.

Thanks. I will probably buy one this fall.

/ Sick PT422 #9  
I got an Optima yellow top D51 today for my PT422 model year 2000, with hydraulic pumps in front of and behind the engine. Advance Auto could not find anything on the I-43, but when I told them it fit a Honda, they found the right battery. The Optima fit just fine and while it is rated at 450 CCA it tested at over 700 CCA.