Oil & Fuel Oil siight / Temp guage

/ Oil siight / Temp guage #2  
That would not be the easiest thing to plumb in. It seems like it would be pretty easy to put in a pressure switch/alarm but that would be too late. A float switch would be difficult given the bouncing and angles we experience.

You could mount a thermometer and a mechanical float gauge in the cover if you wanted. I have found my thermometer to be quite useful. A look down and i can tell if the hydraulic radiator is working properly.

Ken

/ Oil siight / Temp guage #3  
You could mount a thermometer and a mechanical float gauge in the cover if you wanted. I have found my thermometer to be quite useful. A look down and i can tell if the hydraulic radiator is working properly.

Ken

Ken, how about a picture?

/ Oil siight / Temp guage
As this is the only fully hydraulic tractor i have ever owned, how do other tractors warn you of low oil? Or does that happen that often (hoses breaking / leaking or something else). Seems to be a popular occurance on the PT but I am not taking that assessment in context with other tractor owners.

/ Oil siight / Temp guage #5  
Has anyone ever put something like this on their PT?

https://www.recyclingequipment.com/vm/details/310/16/epco/baler-reservoir-3

I would prefer something that has a low oil alarm but this isn't a terrible idea...

I'd be worried about cracking the sight glass.

On my old IH2500b there was an idiot light that warned of low hydraulic pressure. I would think you could plumb in an oil pressure guage/buzzer somewhere in the system that could be mounted on the dash for easy view/listen.

/ Oil siight / Temp guage #6  
Carl,

Personally, I'm with MR, I would be concerned about an external level sensor getting hung up on something and getting ripped out.

Since even systems as simple as hydraulic elevators spring leaks, so it isn't that surprising that a moving hydraulic system in a harsh environment (a PT) leaks.
Granted more of the piping could be metal, and more of it could be armored, but there will always be flexible hoses in some locations. Ultimately, any pipe, any hose, any joint can leak.

I think the bigger issue is when do you want to know, and what do you want to do?

Obviously, a low pressure shutdown would help prevent significant damage, but with the PT, it would leave us with a nice ornament somewhere until we repaired it there.

Knowing sooner, like when the leak first occurs would be nice, but that would require something like matching flow sensors on each circuit, and it wouldn't catch slow, but significant leaks.

As Ken points out, a level sensor is problematic given the uneven ground on which these vehicles function, although a centered float valve would be relatively immune. For my money, it is probably the best solution. It would require cutting up the top plate, but as Ken has shown, it gives you the chance to add magnets, temperature sensor(s), and the desired float gauge: go for it! While I have concerns that a float gauge is going to be problematic, you could try a vertical float indicator, something like the attached image (item 3610K41, from McMaster-Carr)

I probably lean toward KISS methods when it comes to harsh environments, as more complex solutions tend to require a great deal of protection and redundancy to achieve the desired goals.

When I below a seal on my motor, the thing that saved the tractor was my noticing the dripping oil. I am not sure that I would be looking at a level gauge every 20-30seconds. Any buzzer would have to be pretty loud to get through the hearing protection.

All the best,

Peter
As this is the only fully hydraulic tractor i have ever owned, how do other tractors warn you of low oil? Or does that happen that often (hoses breaking / leaking or something else). Seems to be a popular occurance on the PT but I am not taking that assessment in context with other tractor owners.

Attachments

• 3610K41.bmp
    43 KB · Views: 150
   / Oil siight / Temp guage #8  
The real problem with any sort of float indicator on the tank is that people say you have 20 seconds - 1 minute to realize there is a problem and stop. No one is going to look at the reservoir that often. It would help though if you had a slow leak and were not up on your maintenance. I certainly have been complacent at times about fluid levels since there has never been any issues.

Ken

/ Oil siight / Temp guage
This all stems from a nearly catastrophic incident that happened late last year. We have a friend who is a neighbor who got the "I am in love with someone else" conversation. 2 Kids, ugly situation. Because of work we knew that we would be stuck in LA through the winter so we offered to rent him our place (does not nearly cover the mortgage but it is the principal). Part of the deal is that he takes the PT out and mows on occassion. Well the purge / overflow / I can't remember what it is called line from the wheel motor was being pinched and cracked... slowly draining oil out of the system. Problem is that when he checked the oil it had oil on the dipstick (stupid PT Design using a shiny metal dipstick) and the tank did not get filled. It was nearly 3 gallons down when I caught it at thanksgiving.

So people come up to the property, and they want to go drive the beast around, and I am trying to think of a way to do it so when the next hose goes we do not loose a pump. Summer project when we get back up north.

/ Oil siight / Temp guage #10  
Ken, I agree completely. a ruptured PTO line could easily dump the tank in a minute, and if the break is in the engine compartment, how would any of us notice?

Frankly, given the complexities of some of the terrain that I operate on, I am not sure that I would even notice a buzzer and a flashing light on the dash. It would have to be a pretty loud sonalert type of buzzer to get me to
a) notice, and
b) take action
before anything catastrophic happened.

Of course, what are the odds? :)

If we thought it was significant, wouldn't we all be using biodegradable hydraulic oils?

All the best,

Peter
The real problem with any sort of float indicator on the tank is that people say you have 20 seconds - 1 minute to realize there is a problem and stop. No one is going to look at the reservoir that often. It would help though if you had a slow leak and were not up on your maintenance. I certainly have been complacent at times about fluid levels since there has never been any issues.

Ken