$10.00 Slicer/Trencher

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #21  
I thin it is better to reopen an old thread that start a new one on the same subject.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #22  
updating on the trencher according to my rough calculations a 10 cubic inch hydraulic motor should provide enough power (torque) for the digging and should provide the targeted 260/280 feet per minute chain speed that seems to be common on alot of small trenchers, my original calculations were 400/450 fpm until i realized that the older kohler gas engines did not spin at 3600 rpm if i missed something let me know i would rather over analize then build another yard ornament will post picts as soon as i talk the oldest daughter into posting them for me

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #23  
update took the plunge and order my hydraulic motor and coupler, will buy hoses locally, can't wait to get the motor so I can start fabricating the mount

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #24  

muffler 1 004.jpg[/B][/ATTACH][/ATTACH] hydraulic showed up yesterday with coupler workingon mounting bracket today everything seems to be falling into place will post more pictures when complete

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #25  
The chain and sprocket is almost worn out on my 4 ft trencher. It appears to be a throw away chain and sprocket.. Replacement is around $900 for chain and sprocket. I can't find any manufacturer that uses that chain and sprocket.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #26  
finally got it done did about 1hour of trenching everything seems to be in good working order ie; dragged up a couple of cement blocks:eek::eek: while playing in the dirt:) I feel it was money and time well invested even though it has been a long ongoing project, luckily enough I found a local supplier that was able to cross reference the FASTER brand couplers:cool:

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #27  
washita,

Glad you got er done.

Who is the manufacturer of your trencher, The chain look very similar to my Power-Trac trencher, which had a worn out sprocket and chain. Chain replacement would be about $500, don't know price on the sprocket.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #28  
the trencher was made by ARCHER in 1936 at least that is what the person at ballentines told me after I e mailed pictures to them hope that helps, ran trencher another 4 hrs today hooked a buried piece of steel :eek: lifted the powertrac rearend completely before the trenching chain stalled next time around I will use a reverseing motor, so I can clear the jams easier, I ended up using a 18 cubic inch hydraulic motor, with a 1500psi pressure relief, the valve does not open unless I stall the chain, overall very pleased, not as fast as a commercial unit, digs 6'' wide x 48''deep x 50 ft in 1 hour, thats still faster than I can dig by hand:D:D

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #29  
I like your slicer. How is it on hard ground? Did you ever make it into a cable/ pipe puller? Last question, what happens when you come across a big root or large rock?

Thanks
Frank

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher
I like your slicer. How is it on hard ground? Did you ever make it into a cable/ pipe puller? Last question, what happens when you come across a big root or large rock?

Thanks
Frank
Thanks.

On hard ground, such as a sun parched baseball diamond, I have to make repeated passes. Sometimes it would only go in an inch at a time. But with the implement in front, it was not a problem to repeat the path over and over again.

Yes, I used it for pulling water pipe out to my garden. I just used a piece of rope through an existing hole in the back of the plow share. I made one pass through the yard without the pipe and repeated the path with the pipe. It went in like butter.... but our yard is all sandy loam and it was a rainy spring that year. Had it been last year with the drought, I suspect much more resistance would have been encountered.

What happens when I come across a big root or large rock?.... It STOPS! :laughing: The little PT425 only weighs 1500 pounds or so. That's why I make one run without pulling the pipe first. Any obstructions are marked with a flag or stick and I continue. I come back and hand dig any obstructions, then make a repeated pass to be sure I'm clear, then pull the pipe. Beats hand digging trenches for sure! :thumbsup: