$10.00 Slicer/Trencher

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher
Bumping this thread up as I was looking for it and its kinda useful. :)

7238d1028391979-10-00-slicer-trencher-54-179976-slicer1-jpg

7239d1028392099-10-00-slicer-trencher-54-179977-slicer2-jpg

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #32  
Hey Moss, Anyway to make that vibrate? I have been trying to make a vibratory plow for several years. Can't get it right.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher
Hey Moss, Anyway to make that vibrate? I have been trying to make a vibratory plow for several years. Can't get it right.

I thought about it at the time, but went with simple as could be. Our soil is almost 100% sand, so no need for vibratory plow for us.

So how you thinking about making one?
The make vibratory hydraulic motors.
Or, you could put a normal motor on it and drive some sort of eccentric.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #34  
It wouldn't be hard to make vibrate but I would just rent one. It seems like it would put a lot of wear on your loader pins. It would probably be fine for a one time use, but I couldn't build it for the cost of renting.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher
I think if you put gauge wheels on it, and a weight block, you could put the loader in float and go backwards. The FEL would treat it like a trailer and not try to drive up over it like if you were pushing. The pins wouldn't suffer that way.

When I pulled mine in with that slicer, I made one pass without the pipe, then went back and retraced the first pass with a second pass, this time pulling the pipe in. Its very easy on a PowerTrac because you can see the attachment on the FEL arms from the driver's seat. It would be just as easy going backwards. The nice thing about going forwards, however, is that you can drive right up to a building or fence. But going backwards, you can start right up against a building or fence, so 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, I suppose.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher
When I first made this slicer thing, it was intended to be a giant edger for Little League ball diamond rehabs. We were members of a very small Little League with very, very few volunteer parents. Mostly just me and one other dad keeping up our three diamonds. We found a 4th diamond in the weeds and we decided to build a T-Ball diamond for the little kids out of it. We identified home plate and the baselines, staked them out, and used strings and stakes for end points. We used a staked line and a spray paint can to make the arc for the infield/outfield boundary and got some shovels to cut the grass line.... NOT! :laughing:

The infield was made of "moon dust" which is granulated limestone, and it was packed down like concrete. That's when I came up with the slicer idea. With the PT425 it was easy to just scratch the paint line in the grass about an inch or two deep at a time, and retrace the path exactly, only deeper each time, till we had a good edge. Then switched to the buckets to scoop/scrape out the infield of the encroached grass along the arc. Then refill with fresh material and pack.

Only later did I try to use it as a cable/pipe plow to the garden after seeing people on TBN do similar stuff.

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #37  
MossRoad,
Is that plow share hardened or mild steel?

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher
MossRoad,
Is that plow share hardened or mild steel?

I don't know....

Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?
Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.
[he is thrown over]
Bridgekeeper: Auuuuuuuugh.
Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?
King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Got it at Rural King in the pile O plow shares years ago, if that helps. :)

/ $10.00 Slicer/Trencher #39  
I thought about it at the time, but went with simple as could be. Our soil is almost 100% sand, so no need for vibratory plow for us.

So how you thinking about making one?
The make vibratory hydraulic motors.
Or, you could put a normal motor on it and drive some sort of eccentric.
What about an "Impact Type"? Any way to make a rotating ratchet, pivot the shank in the middle and lift and drop the shank from the top on and off a cam lobe, creating a impact type action?
Probably not describing what I am envisioning, but , that's all I got.
and off the "cam" of the