Snow V Snow Plow

/ V Snow Plow #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Tracdoc's post regarding heavy snowfalls and clearing that first path up hill on a long drive got me to thinking about our Power Trac group discussions regarding V plows a few years ago, so I thought I would start a discussion on it.

A couple years ago several of us pondered V plows for the PT for busting open a path. With the quick attach being so easy to use, you could bust a path down the middle, run back to the garage and swap to the power angle plow in less than a minute and use it to do the sides. I think this would be a worthy project that could be accomplished fairly inexpensively. One could probably pick up a couple 36" lawn tractor snow plows at a junk yard pretty cheap, or a beat up pickup truck plow blade and cut it down the center, weld them into a V with some cross bars for bracing and attach a QA plate. You wouldn't need power angle on it. Heck, you could probably do most of the drive in 3 or 5 passes after "normal" snowfalls. The key would be setting it to the proper angles BEFORE welding in up so it sits flat on the drive.

Any thoughts?

/ V Snow Plow #2  
Can you deliver a prototype to sw VA by Tues 02/09, MR?? :D I'll be very pleased to conduct all the preliminary design testing within 1 day, and even compile a comprehensive report for you.

I think this is a splendid concept, and since it would not require the hydraulics for power angling, it would pop on/off in a real jiffy. I'll be the first to admit I have no skills in this area, but many in our great group do, so it could move from concept to reality fairly quickly.

/ V Snow Plow
I have an old Myers snow plow out on our property that I could do this to, but we have not had enough snow in the last 10 years to justify it. I'm looking for a MIG welder to finish up my 2 year old backhoe project, so the plow project shouldn't take too long, but don't get your hopes up for this Tuesday! :p:D

/ V Snow Plow #4  
Are you talking a V-plow that also converts to straight, angled etc. ? Or just a fixed V. ?

/ V Snow Plow #5  
You guys should make a High speed V-plow like you see on some big county trucks, maybe even with the full wing plow setup too! :) :rolleyes:

Ok maybe I'm dreaming, or drooling for that matter :D

/ V Snow Plow
Are you talking a V-plow that also converts to straight, angled etc. ? Or just a fixed V. ?

Nothing fancy, just a fixed V for busting down the middle of the drive on those rare deep snow days.

/ V Snow Plow #7  
Nothing fancy, just a fixed V for busting down the middle of the drive on those rare deep snow days.
There's always a contrarian, I suppose.
I don't think a Power Trac would push a V plow in any significant snow. I just finished 2 days on the 1845 with the 6' blade. I had to herring bone plow through anything over 12" - we had 2 feet, so it was slow going. I used the blade as I would have a bucket, building the banks on the sides essentially with running starts to bash one blade load each direction. I think with a V plow, I'd just have driven in and stopped.
It would have worked fine in the light 6" we had last week, but in that I could blaze along throwing snow to the side like a real plow.
The answer, of course, for this past weekend, would have been the PT mounted blower. But, when I compare the cost of one of those with a boat slip in Ft. Pierce ...

/ V Snow Plow #8  
Go for the boat slip!

All the best,

Peter

/ V Snow Plow
There's always a contrarian, I suppose.
I don't think a Power Trac would push a V plow in any significant snow. I just finished 2 days on the 1845 with the 6' blade. I had to herring bone plow through anything over 12" - we had 2 feet, so it was slow going. I used the blade as I would have a bucket, building the banks on the sides essentially with running starts to bash one blade load each direction. I think with a V plow, I'd just have driven in and stopped.
It would have worked fine in the light 6" we had last week, but in that I could blaze along throwing snow to the side like a real plow.
The answer, of course, for this past weekend, would have been the PT mounted blower. But, when I compare the cost of one of those with a boat slip in Ft. Pierce ...

Snow is a funny thing. Wet heavy stuff 4" deep can cause me grief while 16" of fluffy stuff is easy work. The reason I think a V plow will work better than a straight blade for opening up that center path down my drive is this:

If I angle my blade to one side or the other and the snow is heavy enough, it will force the tractor to the side away from the angle. If I start getting forced to the side, I can usually stop, back up a bit, turn my blade straight, get a running start and start pushing again and keep pushing. A pile of snow builds in front of the blade and acts exactly like a V plow, pushing snow to either side. This gets a lane opened up from garage to street quickly in one pass. I think a V plow would work better than my "pile of snow in front of the blade" method. Of course, the only way to find out is to build one and compare side by side. :)

/ V Snow Plow #10  
Yup, I think you should build one. Be sure to post pics. We like pics. :)