Play in all joints

/ Play in all joints #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
I've put nearly 800 hours on my PT-425 and am starting to get concerned about the amount of play in the four joints of the lifts arms.

I lubed them every eight hours, but even when I first got the PT it seemed that the balls of the lift arms turned on the bolts (got lube into that area all the time also, just in case).

The bolts are not loose, but no matter how tight they are, the ball doesn't turn in the lift arm, just on the bolt.

So - I'll probably replace the bolts at some point, but wonder if there's a way to replace the balls.

The good news is that the looseness of those joints and the quick attach plate play from wear over the years, when I plow the blade has enough play that either end can go up or down an inch or so.

Same thing is bad news when I'm trying to use finesse grading!

Thanks!

/ Play in all joints #2  
I used washers as shims to take the side play out of those joints. I'm not sure it made a real difference, but it made me feel better.

/ Play in all joints #3  
The balls in my FEL arms do not move, either. It only rotates the tube on the bolt as well. No play in mine, yet, but only 400 hours.

/ Play in all joints #4  
The swivel eye joints are designed to swivel, not rotate. If anything should wear out, it should be the center, as it rotates.

To upgrade this a little. Although the swivel eye probably does not wear out, if it did, then you could cut it out and weld in a new one. However, if the mating surface for the swivel eye is worn, you would have to cut off the end piece and weld a new swivel unit back on. As in 13279 below.

http://www.sparexusa.com/Catalogs/Compact/3point.pdf

Union Farm Equipment Shop - Lower Lift Arms

Attachments

• zBJ5088.jpg
    zBJ5088.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
   / Play in all joints #5  
I like this thread, on my PT where the lift arms connect to the tractor is the swivel suppose to be tight on the sides where the bolt slides through so it pivots on the bolt or is it suppose to pivot on the swivel? Mine were loose before I replaced to the new lift arms so on the new one I tightened them so the 2 side clamps were just tight enough to keep the swivel sleve from spinning in there. Is this right or wrong? Should I loosen it? Thanks

/ Play in all joints #6  
I like this thread, on my PT where the lift arms connect to the tractor is the swivel suppose to be tight on the sides where the bolt slides through so it pivots on the bolt or is it suppose to pivot on the swivel? Mine were loose before I replaced to the new lift arms so on the new one I tightened them so the 2 side clamps were just tight enough to keep the swivel sleve from spinning in there. Is this right or wrong? Should I loosen it? Thanks

As I said before, the ball should not rotate, but have a side to side movement.

I would loosen the sides to allow up and down movement, or you will be wearing both the center, and the ball, wearing out the race part of the assembly.

/ Play in all joints #7  
In an ideal world, the rotation of the lift arm on the joints would be perfectly aligned, and you wouldn't need to have a swivel.

If you expect misalignments, either because of inaccuracies in assembly, or because the user of the equipment can be expected to bend the lift arms, then adding swivels will keep the equipment fully functional.

But, yes, the equipment should rotate on the bolt/swivel interface, not the swivel/arm interface.

If the arm is moving laterally on the bolt, then washers would help confine the movement to a single bearing surface and minimize the amount of dirt on the load bearing surface.

I think that this has been covered in a prior thread...

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Play in all joints #8  
Of course, it is next to impossible to get grease into the area between the bolt and sleeve. I have wondered (and even discussed this several years ago) would it be beneficial to drill a 1/8" hole down the center of the bolt to a point equal to the center of the sleeve, then drill a hole from the side of the bolt to meet that center passage. Then tap the center passage in the bolt for a grease zerk so you can get grease to the center of the sleeve.

Any thoughts?

Would a small channel around the bolt where the center channel exits be beneficial to get the grease around the bolt?

/ Play in all joints #9  
Of course, it is next to impossible to get grease into the area between the bolt and sleeve. I have wondered (and even discussed this several years ago) would it be beneficial to drill a 1/8" hole down the center of the bolt to a point equal to the center of the sleeve, then drill a hole from the side of the bolt to meet that center passage.
I think that is a good idea assuming the bolts are a good size to sustain the weakening from the cross hole.
larry

/ Play in all joints #10  
Of course, it is next to impossible to get grease into the area between the bolt and sleeve. I have wondered (and even discussed this several years ago) would it be beneficial to drill a 1/8" hole down the center of the bolt to a point equal to the center of the sleeve, then drill a hole from the side of the bolt to meet that center passage. Then tap the center passage in the bolt for a grease zerk so you can get grease to the center of the sleeve.

Any thoughts?

Would a small channel around the bolt where the center channel exits be beneficial to get the grease around the bolt?

I remember those discussions and I thought at the time, and still do that that would be a good idea. I have also thought how could you protect those zerks so that they wouldn't get broken off so easily. If you drilled a hole in the head of the bolt enough for the zerk to recess in it so it wouldn't be exposed might work, but that might weaken the bolt too much but then again maybe not. Another thing would be to weld a nut or a short bushing on the head of the bolt to protect it might be better but the way I shake anymore that might be difficult for me but not for others that don't have that problem. If you had it recessed you could pump the recess full of grease after greasing the joint to keep the zerk clean until the next service job and clean it out and regrease the joint. On our equipment we had grease hoses at all the joints where it was safe to do so and had a one location grease block, and the joints where it wasn't practical we welded bushings around all of those.