Oil & Fuel Napa 1759 Hyd filter

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter #1  

jaquetarr

Silver Member
Tractor
PoiwerTrac 2445
I finally ran out of the PT oil filters I bought and saw that a (PT Forum) recommended alternative was the NAPA 1759 filter. Got one & it looks exactly the same. Since there is no reference to micron size, I can only assume it is the same.

I did notice that the NAPA gasket is larger than the groove in the filter head so I reused the old gasket. No leaks.

Now, I paid about $15 - $18 for the NAPA filter and it was in stock locally. Does anyone know of a source for filter gaskets that would fit? I've never seen such an after market part. (Another reason to use PT Parts?)

Also, I've found that I can put the filter on dry and use a funnel w/ a plastic hose to squeeze into the space on top of the filter & fill the filter with oil. This worked a lot easier for me as I didn't have to contend with trying to thread the filter on with all the oil weight.

The PT Forum is a great source for tips & tricks, Thanks.
Rgds,
tim

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter #2  
The NAPA 1759 filter is available with three different gaskets. The one that ships with the filter doesn't fit my 1445, either. My local NAPA will order the correct gasket, but they don't stock it, but I don't remember the part #, 5661/5658? YMMV.

BTW, the 1759 is a 10 micron filter. You probably don't want any finer on an intake line lest you degas the oil and cause cavitation downstream.

All the best,

Peter

I finally ran out of the PT oil filters I bought and saw that a (PT Forum) recommended alternative was the NAPA 1759 filter. Got one & it looks exactly the same. Since there is no reference to micron size, I can only assume it is the same.

I did notice that the NAPA gasket is larger than the groove in the filter head so I reused the old gasket. No leaks.

Now, I paid about $15 - $18 for the NAPA filter and it was in stock locally. Does anyone know of a source for filter gaskets that would fit? I've never seen such an after market part. (Another reason to use PT Parts?)

Also, I've found that I can put the filter on dry and use a funnel w/ a plastic hose to squeeze into the space on top of the filter & fill the filter with oil. This worked a lot easier for me as I didn't have to contend with trying to thread the filter on with all the oil weight.

Rgds,
tim

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter #3  

Rgds,
tim

Great tip. Thanks.

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter #5  
The NAPA dealer can order the correct gasket - when i got mine, there was only one other gasket in his system so that is what i got. I ordered a bunch at once.

Ken

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter
Do you happen to have that P/N? When I asked I was told they didn't have anything else.
Tks, tim

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter #7  
i just did this repair. The o-ring that ships with it is 5mmx5mm. The alternative gasket (5661) is 5x7.5mm. The other gasket is 5658, and is way too big, about 7.5mm thick, and ~9mm wide. I think it is an L shaped gasket designed for flat sealing plates.

When I tried to put the gasket that ships with 1759 into the groove on the PT1445, I had trouble. The gasket fits into the groove, but I had to work the oring around a few times until it (almost) all fit into the groove. In the end, I had a bump of about 10 mm sticking out, and I wanted to get on with the job, so I pulled the new oring out and put the old one back in. (The old one seemed fine, I was just trying to see if it would work.) Perhaps with more patience you could convince it to squeeze in.

SO... my ideal oring would be 5mmx5mmx115IDx125OD, but that isn't one of the NAPA options. Perhaps if you asked at the counter.

All the best,

Peter

Do you happen to have that P/N? When I asked I was told they didn't have anything else.
Tks, tim

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter #8  
Peter,

I just tried those specs at McMaster.com with no luck. Might be worth translating them into inches and trying again. Or maybe getting the PT o-ring and measuring it by both systems...

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter
Mr Gravy & Mr ponytug,
Thanks for the feedback on gasket size. I guess one solution would be to replace the upper part of the element so gaskets would not be a problem.
You can only use the old gasket for so long.
tks, tim

/ Napa 1759 Hyd filter #10  
Wix lists three separate gaskets for the 51759 filter and one of them is identical to the PT OEM.

Part Detail