Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix
I know this is "off topic"... but I want to echo what others have said about the TBN community. this thread epitomizes why i visit and from time to time participate. What a great collective vetting of best approaches to a commonly experienced challenge. IMHO this PT forum in particular is populated by a great bunch. A sincere thanks for sharing!

I agree completely. It's amazing how things get better with help from some good friends who also happen to be knowledgeable. I have seen how some other on line communities work and they don't touch a candle to TBN. My thanks to the participants and the people who run this site.

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix
Well, I think that if each and every time you change quick attach items you shut down the engine first, then operate the QA handle a few times, then disconnect the implement hoses, you will never have the problem getting them back on. I am pretty sure the problem only occurs when you disconnect the implement with some pressure on it, still. At least that has been my experience. I had it happen once, the first summer after I bought the PT. I just cracked the hose fitting on the cylinder with a wrench, since I did not know about the pin and hammer trick until I posted my problem here and several folks offered the solution. It has not happened again in 8 years, until this past weekend, when I attempted to hook up my snow plow to plow a leaf pile into the woods further. I remember unhooking it with the engine running the last time I used it. :laughing:

You may be right about this. I usually shutdown the engine first, but not always. By your theory, it seems to me that if you can remove a connector, then you should be able to put it back on. By the temperature change theory, not so much. Still a full pressure release with engine off does sound good and may reduce or eliminate the problem completely.

On the other hand, I don't often have this problem, but when I do I want the tools to fix it quickly. I will keep the bracket, hammer and pin in the on PT tool box.

Last edited:
   / Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #13  
Well, I think that if each and every time you change quick attach items you shut down the engine first, then operate the QA handle a few times, then disconnect the implement hoses, you will never have the problem getting them back on. I am pretty sure the problem only occurs when you disconnect the implement with some pressure on it, still. At least that has been my experience.
This is true for me also. A few years back, I got into the habit of shutting down the machine and moving the handle back and forth a few times, and I have not had any issues connecting these hoses since. If it heats back up again and creates pressure, just wiggle the handle again to relieve it before disconnecting. :thumbsup:

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #14  
I know this is "off topic"... but I want to echo what others have said about the TBN community. this thread epitomizes why i visit and from time to time participate. What a great collective vetting of best approaches to a commonly experienced challenge. IMHO this PT forum in particular is populated by a great bunch. A sincere thanks for sharing!

Right back atcha! :D I have learned sooo much here just by having great conversations.

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #15  
Funny thing is, I would have thought that if you could remove it, you could put it back on again, too. But we all know that ain't gonna work. :laughing: The first time it happened to me I had disconnected the snowplow and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. No way was it going to go back on. That's when I mentioned something here on TBN and was offered the pin, rag and hammer method. Tried and true. :thumbsup:

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #16  
yep, pressure on system.You can always crack a joint lose when all else fails.Dave:thumbsup:

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #17  
Well, I think that if each and every time you change quick attach items you shut down the engine first, then operate the QA handle a few times, then disconnect the implement hoses, you will never have the problem getting them back on. :

Hi MossRoad,

I wish this were true but your procedure is what i follow every time (except i probably cycle the valve 8 or so cycles) and i often have problems. I now carry a rubber hook strap on the pt and use it to keep the auxillary valve open or closed while hooking up if i am having problems. This time of year, even in the shade, there are 40 degree temperature swings, not to mention the temperature change from the oil being hot when the item was disconnected which can be another 40 or more degrees. I use flat face connectors and it is not uncommon to see them sucked in some from the contraction of the oil when it cools.

Hooking the two connectors on the implement has helped but i still occasionally have problems.

Ken

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #18  
I guess I always have them connected to something... either the quick attach mechanism or another implement. I never leave it sitting unattached allowing things to heat up. Since they are always connected, I can always power down and wiggle the lever before attaching something else. I also have opposite "sexes" on each hose so I can connect them together if necessary.

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #19  
Hooking the two connectors on the implement has helped but i still occasionally have problems.

Ken

I keep my brush hog and finish mower hoses connected to each other at all times when not in use. The only implement I have had trouble with is the power angle snow plow. Its hoses are both female, so you cannot connect them together. Someday I may swap out one of them with one of the AUX PTO connectors so I get male/female on the plow AND tractor.

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #20  
Hi Moss,

That is what i did - male and female flat face on the tractor and also on the implements. You could make a small adapter hose just to connect for storing the plow.

Ken