Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I was working on Spring Cleanup at Church Saturday, and of course I took the PT422. I went to change buckets and could not get one line to connect. I got out my pin and hammer and pushed in the pin. It still would not work. After 5 minutes, I got some help. He held the connector and I used the hammer and pin. A lot more fluid than usual came out and it worked.

We are having some wild swings in temperature from lows in the mid thirties to highs in the 70's. This make for a large pressure change. After this somewhat embarrassing problem I decided I needed a fix. I decided to make a bracket that attaches to the lift arm and can hold the connector. See below for pictures.

I made the bracket out of one piece of metal. The metal is 1/4 inch thick and 2 X 4 inches. I made two cuts to create a tab. I heated the tab with the Acetylene torch and bent it 90 degrees. I then heated it again, held it on the lift arm and bent the tab down onto the lift arm.

Attachments

• aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 001.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 001.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 196
  • aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 003.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 003.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 166
  • aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 004.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 004.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 176
  • aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 008.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 008.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 172
  • aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 010.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 010.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 230
   / Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix
To hold it on tighter, I drilled and threaded a hole for a 1/4 inch bolts.

I also cut a hole and slot to run the hose and connector through. The hole is 11/16 inch. The slot is cut so that it's just big enough for the hose to slide in (a little bigger than 0.5 inches) but not the connector. After installation I found that the quick attach plate hit the bracket at certain points in the rotation. While I don't plan to leave the bracket on all the time, I still decided to move the bracket closer to the operator. The hoses were just long enough. Of course I can install it anywhere I need it, as needed.

Attachments

• aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 011.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 011.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 204
  • aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 013.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 013.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 202
  • aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 015.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 015.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 192
  • aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 016.jpg
    aux hydraulic pressure release bracket 016.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 199
   / Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #3  
Why not make yourself an adapter using a male QD, and screw a 12 piece of PVC to the threaded part of the male QD, and put a PVC cap on the other end. So, now if the pressure tries to build up, it will push the heated fluid into the PVC tube, which has air, and the hard hookup, will go away.

Why not make yourself an adapter using a male QD, and screw a 12 piece of PVC to the threaded part of the male QD, and put a PVC cap on the other end. So, now if the pressure tries to build up, it will push the heated fluid into the PVC tube, which has air, and the hard hookup, will go away.

J_J, sounds like an elegant solution. Would you leave it on the attachment hose except during use?

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #5  
Yes, you could stuff a rag inside the PVC to help absorb the excess fluid.

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #6  
We use to have problems with the pesky QD, but no more. Since we visited PT again and took notice of how they work the bucket control and the auxillry control lever, the problem disappeared. We hardly ever have the need to resort to the hammer and pin method.

All that need to be done is after the engine is shut off, move the control levers back and forth several time and the QD come off and on very easily. Hope this helps

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #7  
The problem is in hooking up the attachments after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. The pressure builds up, and makes it difficult to connect.

The problem is in hooking up the attachments after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours. The pressure builds up, and makes it difficult to connect.

Exactly J_J.

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #9  
Well, I think that if each and every time you change quick attach items you shut down the engine first, then operate the QA handle a few times, then disconnect the implement hoses, you will never have the problem getting them back on. I am pretty sure the problem only occurs when you disconnect the implement with some pressure on it, still. At least that has been my experience. I had it happen once, the first summer after I bought the PT. I just cracked the hose fitting on the cylinder with a wrench, since I did not know about the pin and hammer trick until I posted my problem here and several folks offered the solution. It has not happened again in 8 years, until this past weekend, when I attempted to hook up my snow plow to plow a leaf pile into the woods further. I remember unhooking it with the engine running the last time I used it. :laughing:

/ Aux Hydraulic will not connect - Fix #10  
I know this is "off topic"... but I want to echo what others have said about the TBN community. this thread epitomizes why i visit and from time to time participate. What a great collective vetting of best approaches to a commonly experienced challenge. IMHO this PT forum in particular is populated by a great bunch. A sincere thanks for sharing!