Winches Winch anchoring

/ Winch anchoring #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I am considering getting the PT winch for my 422. It will pull about 4000 pounds. The PT is around 1200. Could you increase the anchoring by putting some kind of spikes coming from the bottom of the winch and pushing them into the ground. You might also have some spikes come out of the front and angle them down so you could put them in the ground. Perhaps a cross piece tying the spikes together. Or maybe a plow like bar that would dig into the ground.

I know you could tie the back of the PT to a tree, but that sounds like work.

/ Winch anchoring #3  
Is the goal to winch the PT or move something else?

If it is the latter, any type of ground implement will dramatically improve your winching ability;
  • A shovel
  • A metal plate
  • A spike
  • Attaching the winch to the Q/A plate and levering it into the ground
  • Chocking the wheels...
You get the idea.

All the best,

Peter
I am considering getting the PT winch for my 422. It will pull about 4000 pounds. The PT is around 1200. Could you increase the anchoring by putting some kind of spikes coming from the bottom of the winch and pushing them into the ground. You might also have some spikes come out of the front and angle them down so you could put them in the ground. Perhaps a cross piece tying the spikes together. Or maybe a plow like bar that would dig into the ground.

I know you could tie the back of the PT to a tree, but that sounds like work.

/ Winch anchoring #4  
My solution was a gas portable winch - love those things. Come in quite handy for so many situations.

Ken

/ Winch anchoring #5  
You could probably put some sort of spike on the front of the winch plate and use the power down of the FEL arms to dig it into the ground. That would definitely help keep it from scooting the PT.

Just remember that you could overstress the quick attach area, the FEL arms, the center joint of the main pivot, etc... by doing too good of a job of anchoring it in one place or another. By not anchoring the PT and allowing the PT to slide on the ground if the load is too large, that may be a good indicator of when the load is just too much for the little beast. ;)

As I recall, didn't PT downgrade the size of the winch for the 400 series a few years ago?

/ Winch anchoring #6  
One caution...

Rich, the original owner of my PT-425, actually broke the machine in half at the center pivot when he got it stuck up to the bellypan in muck and yanked it out with a big tractor. So, mine has had a new pivot point for that center joint welded onto the front half to replace the one that failed...

I DO NOT suggest that you winch from the front while chaining the rear of the machine to something. You risk pulling it in two, like he did.

/ Winch anchoring
As I recall, didn't PT downgrade the size of the winch for the 400 series a few years ago?

Yes they did. They cut the strength in half, I believe.

In this thread, I am using the PT to pull other stuff.

I am also concerned about the danger if the cable breaks and comes back at you.

/ Winch anchoring #8  
Bob,

Why not make up a wired/wireless remote winch set up, and stand off to the side when winching.

/ Winch anchoring #9  
Bob,

If you're seriously planning to do this, I'd suggest you look at an aftermarket hydraulic winch, such as a Milemarker or Ramsey. Mount it in a cradle that fits the receiver hitch you already have on a QA plate. Then, you'll have a proven, refined, versatile winch -- with a remote control -- for about the same $$. You could even add the synthetic winch rope in lieu of cable, which is much safer, if you'd like.

For example, here's the Milemarker winches:

Mile Marker HI Series Hydraulic Winches

The 9000 lb one (the smallest) is about $950 MSRP -- you can find better prices, I think, but that's the same cost as the PT winch, which is rated at 4000lbs -- then you'd need to add the cost of the cradle and hoses, and you'd be all set with a quick, versatile and easy mounting system. With long enough hoses, you could even use it on the back of your machine, if needed (I think you already have a receiver on the rear, don't you?)

/ Winch anchoring
Bob,

If you're seriously planning to do this, I'd suggest you look at an aftermarket hydraulic winch, such as a Milemarker or Ramsey. Mount it in a cradle that fits the receiver hitch you already have on a QA plate. Then, you'll have a proven, refined, versatile winch -- with a remote control -- for about the same $$. You could even add the synthetic winch rope in lieu of cable, which is much safer, if you'd like.

For example, here's the Milemarker winches:

Mile Marker HI Series Hydraulic Winches

The 9000 lb one (the smallest) is about $950 MSRP -- you can find better prices, I think, but that's the same cost as the PT winch, which is rated at 4000lbs -- then you'd need to add the cost of the cradle and hoses, and you'd be all set with a quick, versatile and easy mounting system. With long enough hoses, you could even use it on the back of your machine, if needed (I think you already have a receiver on the rear, don't you?)

Yes, I do have a receiver on the back. This is a excellent suggestion. I could also tie it to a tree very easily. I could actually store it on the back and keep it with me most of the time. Use it to replace my weights.

J_J can you reference me a valve to do this, or should I just ask Surplus Center to recommend one?

This comes with a solenoid valve. Could I just plumb it to the PTO connectors? Would it stand the extra pressure and flow.

I like this concept since I could carry it with me and use off of my front and rear receivers (remember I now have one under the lift arms. This may drive me over the hump. I will call them tomorrow.