Winch Modifications

/ Winch Modifications #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
I got the PT winch for my 422 today. It pulls well, but I have a few issues and also want to be able to winch from the back. I don't have solutions for all of the issues. So I guess I will need some help.
I took a few pictures.

1. There is no freewheel mode on the winch. You have to hold the Aux PTO handle to winch in or out. I tried tying the hoses together with some fittings I had. This works, but you have to put a lot of force on the cable to overcome the motor. I really need suggestions for this one. On the picture on the PT web site the motor drives the winch through a chain. On the winch I got it is direct drive. I expect the picture is of the older winch rated at 5 tons, not mine rated at 2 tons. There may be enough room on the spool to unwrap the cable. Do able, but awkward.

2. I need to tow from behind as well as from the front. I plan to connect it to my 2 inch receiver on the back and on the front. I will save the quick attach plate for another project. The winch unbolts from the quick attach plate, so it should be easy to remove.

3. The winch is pretty heavy. The box says over 70 pounds. I expect it's closer to 100. Of course removing the quick attach plate will help.

Attachments

• PT winch modifications 001.jpg
    PT winch modifications 001.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 316
  • PT winch modifications 002.jpg
    PT winch modifications 002.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 237
  • PT winch modifications 003.jpg
    PT winch modifications 003.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 267
  • PT winch modifications 004.jpg
    PT winch modifications 004.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 218
   / Winch Modifications #2  
OK.. Wait.... Direct Drive? What kind of motor are they using?

And 2 Tons? You expected a 5 ton?

Hmmmm....

/ Winch Modifications #3  
The motor is reversible. Maybe there is some type of valve you can get to tie the lines together when engaged so you can free spool the motor? It would require a valve and probably two more hoses and fittings. Look around the surplus center website, or just give them a call and ask the questions. They are very helpful over there.

/ Winch Modifications #4  
Boy, that's some big, stiff cable for 4,000 lbs. I'll bet it's the same cable that they put on the larger winch...

Looks easy enough to remove the QA plate, for sure...

One of my concerns would be the fact that there's no fairlead on it -- it could really make a snarl out of that cable if the winch isn't pointing directly toward whatever you're pulling...

/ Winch Modifications

And 2 Tons? You expected a 5 ton?

Hmmmm....

I expected 2 tons. I knew they had changed it. I also would normally expect the picture to be updated. Of course with PT updating the picture is an option. This is a pretty minor deal.

/ Winch Modifications
The motor is reversible. Maybe there is some type of valve you can get to tie the lines together when engaged so you can free spool the motor? It would require a valve and probably two more hoses and fittings. Look around the surplus center website, or just give them a call and ask the questions. They are very helpful over there.

Moss, I put a coupling between the hoses to do what you suggested. I can now unreel the cable with about 100 pounds of force (just a guess). It would be easier to use a manual winch. If I put the bypass close to the motor it might help a little, but I don't think very much.

I sent a picture of the coupling. Two male connectors coupled together.

Attachments

• PT winch modifications 005.jpg
    PT winch modifications 005.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
   / Winch Modifications
Boy, that's some big, stiff cable for 4,000 lbs. I'll bet it's the same cable that they put on the larger winch...

Looks easy enough to remove the QA plate, for sure...

One of my concerns would be the fact that there's no fairlead on it -- it could really make a snarl out of that cable if the winch isn't pointing directly toward whatever you're pulling...

That cable is very big. I am with you, probably the same as the larger winch.
Would it make sense to put a fairlead on it? I am game if it is available and you guys think it is a good idea.

/ Winch Modifications

It has a name plate on the motor which says "Power Trac" with their part number. It is reversible with the aux PTO handle of course. You can't reach that handle from the winch. I could run some paracord to the PTO handle and wrap is around my foot or something like that. I need to consider the safety aspects of this.

/ Winch Modifications
Does anyone have experience using a winch blanket? I tried to find them and all seem to come from the UK. It looks like they require them for competition of some kind. Would it help with the PT?

/ Winch Modifications #10  
Does anyone have experience using a winch blanket? I tried to find them and all seem to come from the UK. It looks like they require them for competition of some kind. Would it help with the PT?

Bob,

Several things, the picture of the new direct drive winch is on their web site under attachments. The old winch assembly was to strong for the PT, so they downgraded.

For cable pull out/freewheeling, you could attach a gate valve across the hyd motor, and open the valve when you want to freewheel the cable/drum.

On the winch blanket, are you talking about something to put on the winch cable to help with whiplash. People have put jackets, sweat shirt on the cable.

Is that handle on the winch a reverse or a freewheel handle. They should know that your hyd flow is fwd or rev.