Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #1  

Homebrew

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT 425
This weekend I attempted to pull off the brush cutter blades and try out the kit that converts the brush cutter to a finish mower. One of the bolts holding on one of the brush cutter blades came off extremely easy. The other, I can't budge. With all the experienced folks on this site, I figured someone could give me some tips on breaking loose stuck bolts. Any ideas? Thanks.

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #2  
Not sure anyone can answer without a brand/model. But, I do know that there have been some lengthy discussions on breaking loose bolts free. A quick search should turn up some good suggestions.

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #3  
after you spray it with penetrating solvent let it sit a while. Then slip a length of steel pipe over the wrench handle...the leverage should help bust it free if you don't break it.

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #4  
I have a problem with these bolts coming loose, so I ALMOST put loctite red on the threads. You might want to get a torch and heat the bolt up to make sure (if there was a previous owner) that they did not use red.

Then follow Wasabi, or the other long list of ways to get bolts off method...

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #6  
Lube well,than try impact wrench..couple short pull on trigger.

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #7  
I like PB Blaster spray. I spray it on, wait 30 minutes (or so) and do this 3 or 4 times. Then use the impact wrench. For these bolts it is really needed.

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade
Thanks for all the tips. I bought a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and 3 ft of iron pipe. I'll put more PB blaster on there and try this. If this doesn't work, I'll look into getting and impact wrench. I'll report back after I've had a chance to try again.

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #9  
Thanks for all the tips. I bought a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and 3 ft of iron pipe. I'll put more PB blaster on there and try this. If this doesn't work, I'll look into getting and impact wrench. I'll report back after I've had a chance to try again.

An air compressor, impact wrench and impact sockets are "must have" tools for working on a PT. :thumbsup:

/ Stuck bolt on brush cutter blade #10  
An air compressor, impact wrench and impact sockets are "must have" tools for working on a PT. :thumbsup:

When I bought my air compressor about 20 years ago, I figured it was a luxury. But there are many things that you cannot do reasonably without it. Impact wrenches are so cheap once you get the compressor that it's easy to get the impact wrench and other air tools.