Mowing Mowing Deck Question

/ Mowing Deck Question #1  

bmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC29D
On Thursday, I received a package from Chris at Power Trac with literature and a video. As I'm looking over the photographs that show the 425 with mowing deck attached, I start scratching my head in puzzlement (as I get older, this is becoming alarmingly too frequent).

As has been explained here and as it is depicted in the photographs, the mowing deck has 2 front wheels on casters and the height of these are adjustable. The 2 rear wheels are fixed. It seems to me that if you raise your mowing height at the front wheels only, all you are doing is tilting the front of the deck upward. So, I assume you level the deck with the curl function of the hydraulic controller to raise the rear portion of the deck. It seems to me that this would raise the rears wheels off the ground. From my astute observations, can I assume that the rear wheels are only for anti-scalp function when mowing at above minimum heights? Also, is the front-to-rear leveling of the mowing deck done by visual evaluaiton only? Is there a reason (beyond cost) that they don't make all 4 wheels adjustable?

Also, from looking at the pictures, I looks like the front wheels are quite far in front of the deck platform and blades. I was hoping that a front mounted mower would be good at getting to the inside corners of my fenced-in yard. I can't be sure, but it looks like I will have at least a foot of uncut grass in these corners. Of course, it will still probably be better than what I am achieving now with my lawn tractor, but for some reason I was thinking you could get right into the corner with the front mount.

I realize everyone says the finish mower does an excellent job so I probably shouldn't sweat the details like this. But to me something seems a little strange about this setup. As always, any explanation would be appreciated.

/ Mowing Deck Question #2  
bmac,

The rear wheels are adjustable but not via a pin like the front wheels. They are fastened via a nut and bolt. You have a number of holes in the casing which you can put the bolt through (Can't remeber exactly how many....)

The only issue with this setup which I have run into is if you don't tighten the nut you may be spending the afternoon looking for it rather than mowing /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Yes, you are correct in that the front wheels do stop you going right up to the fence or whatever when going forward. So for a corner you cannot get right in their but hey, you have to have a use for that trimmer still /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Mowing Deck Question #3  
Good observations. Did you also notice that the mower had a bar going from the lower center of the tractor to the center of the rear of the deck? If so, they still have not updated the video because that is the mower without the quick attach.

The front wheels are casters and can rotate 360 degrees. As deadstick mentioned the rears are adjusted with a wrench. The axle is just a bolt that can be inserted into numerous hole sin a bracket at the rear of the deck. The holes are spaced the same as the spacers for the front wheels, so the deck remains level front to back. It only takes about a minute to adjust the rear wheels. I leave mine set at the same height all year, so it isn't a problem. However I would like to see an easier adjuster.

As for the corner issue, I have one inside corner that I mow. I approach it along one side until the mower hits the side in front of me. I back out, swing around and approach it along the other side until the mower hits the first side that I mowed along. Look at the attached picture. The point from the inside corner to where the arc of the blade stops on either side is about 10 inches. That's not too bad at all. I think my 20 inch push mower leaves a similar arc on inside corners.

Also <A target="_blank" HREF=http://users.beanstalk.net/godollei/pt425/PT4258hr/8hr01.jpg>Here is a link to a picture of my mower deck</A>. It shows the quick attach, no bar between the deck and tractor, both front wheels in a slight caster to the right and you can see the rings that adjust the height of the front wheels. I believe that I have three rings under and one above. Each ring is 1/2 inch thick, so that means that I have the deck set 1 and 1/2 inches above the standard height and can go up 1/2 an inch more if I want.

Attachments

• 54-191673-corner.jpg
    54-191673-corner.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 157
   / Mowing Deck Question
Thanks, deadstick. I didn't see the provisions for changing the rear wheel height in the pics. Good advice about the loose nuts.

Re: String trimmer, that is one task that I do not enjoy. My 11 year old son thought it looked like fun. I kept telling him it was only an illusion. Kept asking me if he could try it. When I finally gave in it was obvious that my trimmer was too big for him. So, went to my friendly equipment store and got one his size. After a few times, I think he now realizes that its more work than play. I remind him often to be careful what he asks for. He might just get it.

/ Mowing Deck Question
MR, Thank you for the diagram and photo. Actually, the picture of the mowing deck I saw was not on the video, but rather on one of the many brochures they sent in the package. it is exactly like yours on the printed material. I will go back and look at the video more closely to see if it reflects the changes in the mower attachment.

Your diagram illustrates what I thought would happen. What I couldn't tell was the dimensions of the uncut remnant in the corner. Your mowing technique was exactly as I had planned to do it . I have 6 inside corners to cut so this is something that I have been giving some thought to.

Now, I change my mowing height often during the season. The rate of growth is really dependant upon rainfall and ours has been very sporadic this year (and for the past several years, actually). Also, I am on a septic system and the grass over the leach lines is always much taller than the rest of the yard for obvious reasons. Well watered and well fertilized. Consequently, I often have to raise the deck in this and a few other areas to keep from scalping the lawn.

With this machine, I'm sure I'll want to get as much seat time as possible so more frequent mowing, when necessary, won't be a problem.

One more thing about the mower. With a front mounted rear discharge mower, do clippings or foreign objects ever get propelled near the driver? Doesn't look like it would happen, but then again, stranger things have happened.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

/ Mowing Deck Question #6  
I have three different types of grass on my property; St Augustine, Argentine Bahia and Bermuda. Our septic waters the bermuda while a sprinkler system does the rest...

With a bit of experimentation I have set the deck at the height that cuts all three nicely. I have no need to change the height even when the bermuda grows quicker than the rest (watered everyday via aerobic septic)

About you clippings/objects question, I have never had any object or clippings head my direction when mowing..

/ Mowing Deck Question
Thanks again. You guys are sure making it hard for me to find a reason to not buy a Power Trac./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Mowing Deck Question #8  
The clippings mostly go under the tractor. A little bit ends up on the front where the lift cylinders attach.

/ Mowing Deck Question #9  
MossRoad,
Do the deck wheels act as scalping protection (not actually touch the ground until hitting a ridge) or do they touch the ground? A previous thread talked about the float position, which I would assume, meant that the wheels do not touch the ground unless hitting a ridge. If this is so, why are you and others having trouble with tires breaking bead?
PJ

/ Mowing Deck Question #10  
All 4 wheels touch the ground. The fronts are infatable, the rears are solid. The fronts break bead because, in my opinion, they can't handle extreme side loads when castering in rough terrain. Only the brush hog wheels have been a problem for me. The finish mower and snow plow wheels have been OK.