Log Splitter

/ Log Splitter #11  
My back always tells me never to get just a horizontal splitter but then i do not even think about splitting a log smaller than 10 - 12 inches and most of mine are 24" long. I have very little wood in the 10 - 16" diameter range. So either it does not need splitting or it is starting to get heavy. I lift them when i have to but i don't want to have to too often.

Ken

/ Log Splitter #12  
I really appreciate all the input.

Youare, I have heard a lot of great things about the SuperSplit. It is definitely in my price range. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a log lift. I cut a lot of 18-20" diameter stuff, and I can't lift it myself. The SuperSplit looks a little less rugged than a big hydraulic splitter. In all the videos I see the thing wobbling all over as it splits. Maybe it is just because it goes so fast.

The one thing I will say is the splitter is plenty rugged. You will notice some movement of the work table as a heavy log is put on it but that is not an indication of weakness. The working parts of the splitter are solid. When I first looked at them almost 20 years ago I thought they would be prone to breakage and wouldn't last. I was at a Forest Products Expo five years ago and watched an electric motor powered one work. I asked the salesman what parts have poeple needed to replace. A guy behind me in the crowd spoke up and told me he has had one for 12 years and sells an avarage of 100 full cords of wood a year and in that time he has had to replace the V-belt that powers the flywheel.

I looked at a used one that had 15 years of service with a guy who did around 150 cords of wood a year, he had two of them, with no issues. The work table is at a good height to work from. The really big pieces could be rolled on from the bucket of your tractor.

The Timber Wolf has a nice log lift, I know four people who have them. I really like the faster cycle time of the Super Split.

Randy

/ Log Splitter #13  
My back always tells me never to get just a horizontal splitter but then i do not even think about splitting a log smaller than 10 - 12 inches and most of mine are 24" long. I have very little wood in the 10 - 16" diameter range. So either it does not need splitting or it is starting to get heavy. I lift them when i have to but i don't want to have to too often.

Ken

I use an old 3pt splitter with my 1430. I don't even have an attachment plate welded on it. I just grab it with the grapple bucket. Two bottom pins in the bucket and clamp down on the top link with the middle grapple tooth. It works good with big logs you can't lift because you can lay the splitter on the ground. You can even dig a little trench to lay the splitter beam in so the top of beam is flush with the ground. Than it's easy to roll the log onto it.

/ Log Splitter #14  
American Bulldog,

The single or the dual log splitter on your Pt-1460, would be awesome. You have more than enough hydraulics for them. Just add a log lift, and make little wood out of big wood.

Attachments

• zhorizontalposition.jpg
    zhorizontalposition.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 407
  • zmulti4.jpg
    zmulti4.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 735
   / Log Splitter #15  
Here is a 360 degree splitter, so you can cut trees down., plus any other position.

Attachments

• z360splitterside.jpg
    z360splitterside.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 399
  • z-360splitter.jpg
    z-360splitter.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 1,882
   / Log Splitter #16  
HI RegL,

I have done it your way with the horizontal splitter on the ground. I found a vertical splitter was much less work for me. I have a padded bucket that i sit on or i crouch down on my heels. Just roll the log on and split, turn and split some more. Less bending/lifting because you are grabbing the top of a 24" log and just spinning/waddling it.

If I split smaller stuff, i would tilt the splitter horizontal for the small ones. But I use the small ones whole. I would consider a horizontal if i built a large splitting table that i could load with the tractor but that would still be more work unless i had multiple people helping.

Ken

/ Log Splitter #17  
Ken,
You have the best idea yet. Multiple people helping. Wish I could find some. Might through in there younger also.
Reg

/ Log Splitter
Thanks for all the tips. JJ that dual unit is pretty clever.

I talked to Timberwolf and their unit really seems like the best one. I can get it with a log lift, and a hydraulic 4 and 6 way wedge on it. I guess that the pressure on the PT, listed at 3000 psi, is higher than most skid steer pto's. The Timberwolf is rated for 3000 psi max. The biggest drawback is the resale value. If I buy a Tiberwolf TW-5 and keep it in like new condition, I can sell it for 75% of what I paid. The skid steer attachment with a PT QA plate on it would be a bit tougher. I would be lucky to get 50% of what I paid.

One advantage with the PT is that the pump can still put out the GPM even at 3000 psi. Typical hydraulic splitters have two stage pumps, and the GPM number is only on the first stage, at much lower pressure.

I need to give Terry a call a verify the specifications from the website.

/ Log Splitter
Actually JJ I looked and the Dirt Works are only rated for 2500 psi.

They may have a regulator available though.

/ Log Splitter
So here is an update:

I cut and split about 1 1/2 cords today, and I used my brother in law's splitter. I wanted to make a nice stack behind the house and didn't want to split it there, so I filled the PT's light material bucket straight out of the splitter. I then drove the PT around the house and stacked the wood out of the splitter. Besides the splitter being a piece of junk, the process went pretty well. It dawned on me that if I get a PT mounted splitter, I will lose the functionality of the bucket. I think that I am better off with a self contained splitter after all.