Log Splitter

/ Log Splitter
Hey we're back again. The splitter is working great, have split probably about 50 cords with it. Runs like a champ.

There was another one I ran across that looks really cool.

Welcome

I think they could make one of those SS models to hook up to my PT1460.

/ Log Splitter #53  
I have an Iron & Oak 22 Ton 3 pt splitter. Cost me 1200 I think, free shipping. All the literature (and retailers) said I didnt have the Hyrdraulics to run it w/out a PTO, and those units were back ordered 8 weeks. I spoke to Oz at Great Nothern (new owners of I&O) and he convinced me otherwise. He explained that lower than recommended minimum flow rate would just cause the thing to cycle a bit slower, and that 2100 psi would deliver plenty of force. All this made sense to me, and is consitant with what I was taught in school. He said if I wasn't happy he would sell me a PTO add on when they became available & ship it for free as well. My Tractor is something like 11 GPM @ 2100 psi, but about 4 goes to the Steering. At 52 years old, it cycled plenty fast enough for me. Seemed about the same as the rental stand alone units I have used in the past. I split about 8 cords of wet Maine hardwood in a few days. Some of the wood was 3 ft diameter, knotty as all get out. The thing never even slowed down. At first I had the idle set up to 1900 RPM, but soon realized I didn't need to. Iron & Oak is top of the line. Its a commercial unit. The cheaper ones would probably be fine, but I never go that route. It can be mounted at various hieghts, and of couse my 3 point adds even more versatilty. For the biggest logs I put it on the ground roll them on, take a knee & split them down low. For small suff I use at at wasit level to keep from bending over. I have no regrets & will NOT be ordering the $850 PTO. I did spend a few 140 on 2 log cradles. One would be perfect, but they are sold in pairs. The 4 way wedge would be cool for many of the logs, but would possibly cause removal problems with others? I'm so happy with this I can't see changing a thing. FYI I have a B3300SU Kubota. I'll be back in a few months to let you guys know how the 6' 3-way plow works.

/ Log Splitter #54  
I an not seeing fast at idle and 2100 psi.

If that is a 4 in cyl, I only see about 12 ton, and about 40 sec just to extend for a 24 in log