Log Splitter

/ Log Splitter #1  

American Bulldog

Gold Member
I heat my house primarily with firewood, so I burn 8-10 cords a year, and I cut wood for others as well. Anyways, I am in the market for a log splitter, as my back just can't take the maul, and I don't have as much time. So anyways, I am just wondering why PT doesn't make a log splitter attachment. On my 1460, the pump is rated at 18 GPM, which is enough for a middle grade splitter. I would rather not have to purchase another motor and pump when I have it on the PT. I need something decent, not an entry level POS splitter. Any suggestions?

/ Log Splitter #4  
I have a splitter i could use on the PT but it makes no sense to run such a large engine to operate a splitter.

Ken

/ Log Splitter #5  
I have been planning to build my own this winter, but I got a heck of a surprise last week when the neighbors pulled up with one and split all my wood for me.

Now, in talking with them it turns out 4 of us want a splitter, but can't swing the $$$. But if we split it 4 ways, and look for one coming from a rental yard, we think it might come to about $150 apiece.

So, that is the plan. If you got great neighbors, might be a good thing to see if they want to go in on.

/ Log Splitter
I have a splitter i could use on the PT but it makes no sense to run such a large engine to operate a splitter.

Ken

That's kind of different thinking. My thought process is that it makes no sense to buy another hydraulic pump and gas engine when I have an extremely capable one on the PT. As far as fuel consumption, it will take forever for the Deutz to lose it's cost effectiveness. The splitter would be easier to move around with the PT anyway.

I did see that Timber Wolf has a skid steer splitter with a log lift available. I may inquire on that.

/ Log Splitter #7  
Don't get me wrong - i hate the idea of having another gas engine to maintain. But with having to replace filters every 50 hours, wear and tear on all those pumps etc, just does not seem to make sense to me.

I converted my gas splitter to a larger pump with electric motor. It would take me 15 minutes to convert back. If i ever found I wanted to swap frequently, i would add some high flow disconnects.

Ken

/ Log Splitter #8  
I cut and split an average of 8 full cords of hardwood a year. This is our 36th heating season using wood only. Up until 4 years ago everything was split by hand but it was beginning to take too much time and inflict too much discomfort.

I purchased a Super Split wood splitter 4 years ago, I know they are a little more expensive than some of the other splitters out there today. About a month ago I cleaned up a log landing on my neighbors property, the logger left me some firewood for my efforts. Once I got every thing chunked and piled into 18" lengths it turned out to be a row of wood 60+ feet long and 4 1/2 feet high, I figure a little over 3 full cords.

This was an ideal set-up, I was able to start at one end and keep backing the splitter up until the whole pile was split. 50% of the wood needed to be quartered, 25% was just split in half, the other 25% was split into 6 or 8 pieces. I was able to split the all the wood in less than 3 1/2 hours with the Super Split all by myself, and use only one tank full of fuel.

I don't think a less expensive splitter would have done the job as fast so if you are going to split for other people time is important.

Randy

/ Log Splitter #9  
As a newbie to splitting (this is my 2nd full year of heating our home with wood) and regarding using the PT to power the splitter...

I was loaned (semi-permanently) my father-in-law's stand alone self powered gas engin log splitter. Normally, I tend to agree with wanting to maintain as few pumps, engines, etc... as possible and lean towards a splitter attachment for the PT. Had I not been given this splitter, I would have gotten a splitter powered by the PT.

A couple things to consider, however...

I am in the situation where my wood is gathered from our rural property and trailered to our home. I can pull the trailer up within 10' of our wood pile. I split right next to the trailer and stack on the other side of the splitter. So, I do not have to move the splitter ever and I do not have to use the PT to move unsplit logs or split firewood around. For me, having the PT power the log splitter would be very practical.

If you are in a situation where you need the PT to move lots of wood around DURING the splitting process, then it would not be practical, as you would constantly be needing to connect and disconnect the splitter.

Of course, with a PT that means a total time consumption of about 30 seconds to attach or de-attach an implement! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

So, I would suggest evaluating your firewood processing process and see if it will be more practical to have a stand alone splitter or a PT powered unit. If I wasn't loaned this self powered splitter and owned it outright, I would remove the BS engine and the pump and put QA disconnects on it and power it with the PT. ;)

/ Log Splitter
I really appreciate all the input.

MossRoad, I definitely think a stand alone splitter is best, but I just figured I could save on cost perhaps. Generally I will split the wood wherever it is to be stacked, so there is not much back and forth with attachments. BTW, the PT 1460 with the light material bucket is awesome for hauling the logs out of the forest. It can get into places that the pickup truck or the Deere could not. 4 bucket loads to a cord.

Youare, I have heard a lot of great things about the SuperSplit. It is definitely in my price range. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a log lift. I cut a lot of 18-20" diameter stuff, and I can't lift it myself. The SuperSplit looks a little less rugged than a big hydraulic splitter. In all the videos I see the thing wobbling all over as it splits. Maybe it is just because it goes so fast.