Water Tank

/ Water Tank #11  
This is what I use; 30 gallons, too heavy for the electric lift sleeve hitch, so the casters carry much of the load when full, yet easy to lift to back into place for refill. Same idea could easily be adapted to bigger tanks! ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS 143 (Small).jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 143 (Small).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 208
   / Water Tank #12  
Thanks for the ideas so far and welcome any more.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a seperate tank for rain collection and a seperate one for moving it around the yard. I want to mount it either on a pallet or on a trailer. I could then tow it or if it was on a pallet I could use the forks. I like this thread I found but would like more thoughts.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/61467-portable-water-wagon-project.html

Here are some pumps I found. Which one would be best/ Cabela's -- Rule Submersible Bilge Pump
I would like to set it up like the guy in the first link did so the pump could be used to pump in or out of the tank. I can't figure out a way to make this pump work that way, so any thoughts would be appreciated. of course I like this pump because I am cheap.

If you plan to use this collected water to water trees, plants, etc. and be mobile, this is pretty easy. If you have a pick up truck, I would simply use a tank in the bed, making sure it is securely strapped down! Water is heavy (I think 11 lbs. per gal??) and as it sloshes in a tank, there are forces that will cause the tank to move if it not very secure (found out the hard way!) I think a 100 gallon tank is plenty big for a truck. Our city crews water many trees along our streets. I asked how they did it and was told they use a little Honda gas pump. I bought one and it is really great. Very small, but powerful and good flow (Northern: Item 109424-1006 $449) a little expensive but worth every penny! I use it all of the time. Has a 1" intake. You can draw from the tank or just connect it to the tank valve. What I would do is build a platform under your gutter and place a larger tank to take advantage of heavy rains. You can collect hundreds of gallons very quickly. You can mathmatically calculate surface area of collection times amount of rainfall to figure collection totals. It is surprising how much can be collected even with as little as 1/2 of rain. You will need a filter to filter out the trash before it gets in your tank. As I mentioned earlier, there is a simple PVC one made that is clever. It holds a screen mesh at a 45 angle so the water passes through but the leaves collect and slide of, so it is self-cleaning. I sometimes toss some bleach or pool chlorine in my tank to prevent algae growth. With this tank high (say 42" outlet height), you can fill many containers with gravity alone, or you can use the little Honda to fill your portable tank. I have also used a 12V pump (item 108559-1006 $79) and it works O.K. but is slower and less powerful. I also hook my pressure washer to the elevated tank to wash equipment. Used it tonight to wash fertilizer residue from my tractor.

/ Water Tank #13  
Just looked at the Cabellas pump. I don't think a bilge pump is what you need. Very slow, so it would take all day to water a few trees, and I doubt if this pump is designed for what you want it to do. If you want cheap and 12V, get the Norththern 12 V pump I mentioned previously. Its really simple to use, has alligator clips and a handle, so just hook up your hoses and go. Don't forget, your intake hose needs to be designed for intake, as a regular garden hose will collapse under suction. You can also make one yourself. Home Depot sells bulk intake hose material and fittings. Northern also sells them pre-made. Any regular hose will work for output.

/ Water Tank
I am surprised that the Cabelas pump wouldn't be enough. Only because it can pump 800 gallons a minute. That is over 2 gallons every 10 seconds. I know if you pump uphill you will lose some depending on how high. What is every ones experience with these. I am not looking for a forceful stream anyway. It comes out of my hose at my house too strong anyway because the water wants to run off around my flowers. i don't plan on watering trees. Mostly my flowers, garden and a few shrubs. I see myself using a long watering wand to reach hanging baskets and to reach between flowers to get to the base of them.

Here is one more suitable becuse it can be used inline.Cabela's -- Johnson Pump Mayfair Cartridge Livewell Pumps

I really appreciate everyones imput.

/ Water Tank #15  
I use a 55 gal poly drom with garden hose attached.....could use the tractor, but usually just put it in the back of our 4wd mule. gravity feed

/ Water Tank
How is the flow?

That is along the lines of what i was thinking, but i want to have the ability to water hanging baskets, so I would need a pump. I remember reading somewhere that a fellow made somrthing like what you described and he would use a long wand. He would turn on the pump to get the water going then shut it off and because the end of the wand was held by the ground it would just siphon out. he then only used the pump for hanging baskets.

/ Water Tank #18  
I am surprised that the Cabelas pump wouldn't be enough. Only because it can pump 800 gallons a minute. That is over 2 gallons every 10 seconds. I know if you pump uphill you will lose some depending on how....

The bilge type pumps have a very open impeller to try to avoid easy clogging. The problem with that is they can only lift water a few feet. That 750 gpm rating is what you get with nothing attached to the pump. It quickly drops to zero if you put 4 foot of hose on that pump and try to make it lift the water more then 3 feet. It is really the wrong type of pump for the task you are describing. I suspect you would be disappointed with the results.

The type of pump you want is typically called a "wash down pump". It is designed to pump a lower flow rate of 4 gpm consistently against a higher pressure drop (such as a typical garden hose nozzle). Cabelas has one, but they sell a bunch of other stuff with it. Try west marine instead.

Cabela's -- Johnson Pump Washdown Kit

This is the same type of pump that you find on the chemical tanks sold for spraying lawns. It might even be cheaper to buy it this way with the tank.

NorthStar ATV Sprayer with Boom-less Spray System — 26 Gallon, 5.5 GPM, 12 Volt | Broadcast + Spot Sprayers | Northern Tool + Equipment

/ Water Tank
Well see that is why this forum is the best! I would have bought that pump and would have been disappointed. Thanks!

After thinking about it I am thinking about mounting this on a half of a pallet(how ever big I need it). That would be easier then a trailer. I can put it where I want it and I can put it right on the ground under my Rain Barrel faucet. No need to pump into the barrel.:thumbsup: