Water Tank

/ Water Tank #1  

3238dpw

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac 425, C-121 Wheel Horse, 2 Exmark 60 inch zero turn mowers
In New Jersey we are currently in a drought. I was wondered if anyone has set up a tank on their PT to use for watering plants and their garden. Also thinking about a pump. Maybe collecting rain water. In the idea stages and there is no better place then this for ideas.

/ Water Tank #2  
I would think water would be too heavy for a 3pt but a single axle would make it an easy chore.
David from jax

OPPS, PT... not 3pt....sorry

/ Water Tank #3  
In New Jersey we are currently in a drought. I was wondered if anyone has set up a tank on their PT to use for watering plants and their garden. Also thinking about a pump. Maybe collecting rain water. In the idea stages and there is no better place then this for ideas.

You should be able to fill and lift a 55 gal barrel with water, and tote it anywhere. Either gravity fed, or a small pump for spraying.

55 gal full of water weighs about 440 lbs

/ Water Tank #4  
I have a tank with Pump from Northern. I use it to put down nematodes. It holds 26 gallons.

Attachments

• sprayer 001.jpg
    sprayer 001.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 137
  • sprayer 004.jpg
    sprayer 004.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 123
   / Water Tank #5  
I collect rainwater from the downspouts with 55 gallon drums. Mine are not mobile, as I have the overflows tied into the lower sections on the pre-existing downspouts. I suppose I could have set them up differently, but I have no need to move that much water at a time.

By the way, collecting rainwater can be extremely efficient instead of running the well... With as little as 1/2" of rain I can collect 165 gallons of water with my 3 barrel setup.

/ Water Tank #6  
I know it sounds odd but check your state laws if you're visible from the road before you put in a rain water collection system. It's illegal in several states to collect rainwater. Apparently it's a public domain issue and is considered stealing the water from your neighbors and community.

/ Water Tank #7  
I have a cistern, a 250gal. tank from TSC. I mounted it on a 40"high platform and collect from one side only of my shed. it stays full most all the time. It has a 1" outlet, so even gravity fed it can put out good flow. I use it for equipment washing, as it is my only water source, using a gas pump, of course. If I wanted to be mobile, I would still collect it this way and probably buy a smaller tank (about 100 gal) and pump from one to the other in a truck bed. THis way you could not have to disturb the "plumbing" I have a commercially available self cleaning screen mounted on the downspout to flush out leaves and debris. You can find these on many rain collecting websites. They are pretty cheap. I also would consider one of the 200 gal "totes" that I see for sale often, the ones with the metal cage. They sell around here for $50. Collecting water is really easy, if you have a roof. Gutters are cheap also.

/ Water Tank #8  
I know it sounds odd but check your state laws if you're visible from the road before you put in a rain water collection system. It's illegal in several states to collect rainwater. Apparently it's a public domain issue and is considered stealing the water from your neighbors and community.

Only on the West (left) coast!!!!!! Sad. Someday they will try to restrict the air we breathe (or tax it)

/ Water Tank #9  
HCJtractor said:
Only on the West (left) coast!!!!!! Sad. Someday they will try to restrict the air we breathe (or tax it)

Didn't know it was only out here but that explains why I ran into it when I lived in Utah. Glad I left there.

/ Water Tank
Thanks for the ideas so far and welcome any more.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a seperate tank for rain collection and a seperate one for moving it around the yard. I want to mount it either on a pallet or on a trailer. I could then tow it or if it was on a pallet I could use the forks. I like this thread I found but would like more thoughts.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/61467-portable-water-wagon-project.html

Here are some pumps I found. Which one would be best/ Cabela's -- Rule Submersible Bilge Pump
I would like to set it up like the guy in the first link did so the pump could be used to pump in or out of the tank. I can't figure out a way to make this pump work that way, so any thoughts would be appreciated. of course I like this pump because I am cheap.