Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member

Default Source of mower spindles

I have a 425 with a 48 inch finish mower. The treads in one of the spindles have stripped.

I would like to get a new spindle unit but don't know what brand spindle Power Trac uses. I doubt that it is their own design. Does anyone else know?

Also where can I get some of the little blade adapters (bushings)?

I may have to resort to PT but hope I can find something more readily available or cheaper.

J_J
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Default Re: Source of mower spindles

What is the cost of a new spindle?

I doubt if you will be able to find a match for the PT spindle. You could probably match up something if you had some new ones to compare. Essentially, if the blade to deck is the same, then it really would not matter about the design, as long as the pulley size was correct.

An option for you would be to have machine shop make a copy of the original.

They could also weld on some more metal to the thread area, and turn it down and re-thread the spindle.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

You could try using JB Weld on the threads then recut them with a die.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

What would be the chances of welding a nut inside the spindle and using longer threads? You would have to do it to both.

Carl
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Gold Member
    Tractor
    PT425

A couple of mine did that I just put a longer bolt in. Worth a try. I have the 60", PT sells individual parts for the spindles on mine I don't know about yours.

sg

Tractor
    PT 425

I know this is an old thread and I didn't want to start a new one, but I bought my new deck blades and getting the deck ready for next spring and now I find I have a bad spindle. Does anyone know how much power-trac charges for them or how anyone else fixed theirs with this issue. The bearings look great and no signs of wear just the spindle has a big notch all way around where the bearing rolls. It is like the bearings aren't doing anything at all, they are not locked up either. Anyone else ever have this problem? It looks like they used some really soft steel for this. Wonder why, unless for safeties sake. I called Power-trac and they are closed for the holiday.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II

On my 72", the spindles appear to be stub trailer axles. It may be worth taking a look.

Tractor
    PT 425

Well ordered a new one at $28 not including shipping from Power-trac and installed it already which isn't to bad a price I think. After disassembly I found out that the all the grease I have been using didn't do anything because when the spindles were assembled someone at the factory didn't remove one of the inner bearing seals. So essentially I was greasing a sealed bearing spindle. Disassembled the other two spindles and they had the inner seals in them as well but didn't have any damage to the spindle shaft. Didn't want to do it but I am glad I did and it was a good learning experience. I guess if you have an older deck you have to replace the entire spindle assembly and it is quite expensive. So now I am ready for spring, working spindles with brand new mower blades.

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

While there are zerts on the spindles, I have heard they are sealed bearings. Not completely sure on this but.
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    PT 425

I was told by Power-trac that the inner seal needed to be removed on all the bearings. This is why I disassembled the other two spindles so I could remove the inner seal so the grease will get to the bearings. I got 2 new bearings with one seal already removed on each for reassembly from them, so now when I grease it will actually do something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast