/ 1850 #1  

twin50

Hello everyone, Glad I found this forum before I buy one. If you all will indulge me I will give some background. My wife and I are moving to WV in 3 years semi-retired both of us. I am 44 my wife is 49:eek: we are going to buy now and start working the land which is me. So...now to the good part I have been looking for a multi use machine for several months and I keep coming back to the PT 1850. I need something that can do it all within reason and I feel this is it. The best part is I have pretty much as much work as I want or need as far as property maintance. Kut-kwick did a demo Wed. on the property we are buying wonderful job but, it is only a cutter so it is no good to me plus the price is out of my league. Now sorry for the rambling here are my ?'s. When brush cutting say more of overgrowth than a pasture setting how many acres can be cut a hour? Has anyone run the trencher tree shear post hole digger at slope? Thanks for the site and your time. I don't intend to work this machine full time or tear it up I really would just like some real world opinions.

/ 1850 #2  
I have the 1445, and I have used the wheeled trencher/stump grinder, the chain trencher and the post hole digger/auger. They work as advertised . I don't have PT's tree shear, but I built my own, but I would supposed that it works well. 10 ton of cutting force is a lot. The hole digger is the only one that will pivot One thing to think about with some of these attachments, is how often will you use it. If you are like me, you want it now, just to have it. I haven't used my hyd tiller in about 4 years. If you are thinking that you are going to put up a lot of fence, then the post hole digger makes sense, and if putting in a garden, then the tiller would be food to have. .

This is just my opinion on things

/ 1850
Thanks for the reply, I am pretty much betting the farm on it as the saying goes.

/ 1850
I agree on the attachments for sure I see alot of mods and fabbing in my future. I can't wait:thumbsup:

/ 1850 #5  
Look for used stuff if you can weld, and just adapt as necessary. I am building some adapting some adapter plates to use 3pt stuff on the PT, and an an adapter to use my hyd attachments on my Case 1445 skid steer.

Just for instance, you can use a 3pt bush hog, and add a hyd motor, and you have a heavy duty hyd brush cutter.

/ 1850 #6  
Because you are looking at kut kwick I assume you have steep slopes. PT pretty much has the steep slope market for US made multi purpose machines that can dig. For mowing and some other uses--but not a heavy duty front end loader--you could look at Ventrac which is US made.

There are some very expensive European manufactured tractors that can work steep slopes.

On the other hand if you don't have steep slopes a more traditional tractor might suit your needs.

You need to make a list of just what you want the machine to do and go from there.

/ 1850 #7  
I have a Ventrac 4231, and a PT 1460. Both have their place. Ventrac is an amazing mower, I have the 84" contour deck. PT's 90" mower does not do anywhere near as good a job. Also, the mower can't handle the real heavy stuff very well. The bucket on the PT, however, is great. I use the grapple and the light material bucket. Very useful. The Ventrac and the 1460 combined were not a whole lot more than the PT 1850. The 1460 is amuch better loader than the 1850.

Big thing is figure out exactly what your slopes are. The 1850 can handle pretty much anything you would want to mow. The Ventrac will handle 30 degrees all day long, and maybe a little steeper up and down with the duals. The 1460 is supposed to handle 30 degrees, but it really can't. I would say 25 degrees tops. The 1445 is probably similar.

Don't pay for the extra slope handling if you don't need it. Also, don't expect your 1850 with the 90" mower to do a good quality job around your house. It is just too big, and it will scalp and jump.

Here is a pic of my Ventrac after mowing. It has full rollers on the deck to give that striping look.

002-14.jpg

004-13.jpg

Here is the PT with the LMB.

004-14.jpg

/ 1850
Good info all thanks, I will be a bit more detailed on where I am at. I have been back and forth with the ventrac but in West Virginia I will for sure get into 45 degree just not sure how much. The main use for the machine will be to work in conjunction on my property with my 30hp 4x4 tractor. I have come by some pretty good hustle money work reclaiming neglected farms. I am sold on the PT where I am at is some real world opinion on the tree shear 90" mower which American Bulldog answered a bit. Also not sure on the flail mower as well. Chris at PT told me that alot of you owners are fabbing your own equipment based on needs I dig that I think if I can fab or mod some hydraulic tree saws,shears,chainsaws would be a good combo to reclaim the land I think. Thanks everyone.

/ 1850
Also, Wanting to stay with as much power as possible. Mainly for hydraulics. Has anyone done steep slope work with the trencher and tree shear?

/ 1850 #10  
Sounds good. Just beware that PT does not dot the I's and cross the T's on their equipment. If you search you will find that many PT 1850's overheat when mowing. Pretty much right off the bat you should add cooling to the Deutz motor. The setup on the mower is a little strange. The front caster spacers are the wrong size. Also, the rough cut blades swing back and break off the heads on the stump jumper mounting bolts. The hydraulics are solid, but PT doesn't give much information, and puts stickers on the unit saying that you will void the warranty if you touch the hydraulic settings. This is all fine and dandy if the unit was set up right from the factory, but mine wasn't. The seat is uncomfortable and has no suspension to it. Actually there is no suspension anywhere on the entire unit.

Now for the good stuff. It is easy to modify and add things. There is this forum, where people have been detailing their mods for years. The Deutz 64 HP motor is fantastic - runs great and plenty of power. Just watch the temp. The drive system with the treadle is really nice, quiet, and very smooth. You can't dent the thing with a sledge hammer. Very solid. These things get into places where no other tractor can.