PT dropped off at the shop!

/ PT dropped off at the shop! #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hopefully, this repair won't cost me an arm and a leg. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

The shop rents and repair Toro Dingo's (which are mechanically and hydraulically very similar), plus they apparently repair some of the state's smaller equipment, so hopefully these guys will do a nice job.

They were very curious about how I got the PT onto the dolly. I said "a whole lot of jackin' my friend!".

I asked them to install fitting on the hydrostatic pump to connect the bleeder hose to (mine doesn't have the fitting), and to see if they can identify (and install fittings into) the tow valve/ports. I also asked them to identify and replace any hoses that looked like they were about to burst as well. They do have to pull the engine out to replace the ignition coil, so might as well try to hit some of the hard-to-reach hoses while they're at it. I asked them to call me when they reach the $300 mark, so hopefully I'll be waiting awhile for that call!

Dave

/ PT dropped off at the shop! #2  
Dave,
Thanks for keeping us updated, good luck with the cost.{sad}
PJ

/ PT dropped off at the shop! #3  
Two days in the shop. Have they gotten to it yet?

/ PT dropped off at the shop!
Hey Charlie:

Nothing yet. The mechanic who would be working on it was out sick Thursday, so he may have been still out today. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it back. I'd rather them take their time and do it right.

Dave

I heard from the shop. So far, they've replaced the wiring harness, no dice (could've told 'em that!). They going to start pulling the engine out. My total so far is $135 (2.5 hours of labor), so hopefully they work a little more "efficiently" on pulling the engine out and continuing the troubleshooting.

Just out of curiousity, do the Kohler or Robin engines have to be pulled out to do involved service, or is this merely a function of my older Briggs & Stratton engine?

Dave

/ PT dropped off at the shop! #6  
Hi,
a very little advertized problem with the 25 Kohler engine is the blowing of the headgasket syndrome. Over the last three years this happened 3 times. My Exmark ZTR, My Ferris ZTR all went before 200 hours of operation. the selling dealer did his thing and we seem not to have anymore problems.

When i had the same problem with the pt 425 i called Tazwell and they suggested i call a kohler dealer in my area. they all told me that since they had not sold the equipment they would be happy to work on this warranty work (two years or 400 hours) but they would first take care of their customers.

so i called an 800 number at kohler ...once i got past the toilet faucets i found a very congenial guy who told me how to go about finding an expert dealer in my area. i know you longtimers i have already posted this here.

Dave, they did the actual work for free. The bill came to $600 some dollars. the warranty updates and gasket job was $400.00 Kohler was billed. the lifting of the motor out of the tank environment cost me out of my own pocket $200.00.

/ PT dropped off at the shop! #7  
Dave,

I like Hans description, 'tank environment'. I wish PT would have designed removeable panels so that the engine and other components could be accessed in a much easier fashion. I don't believe that removeable panels would have affected the structural integrity of the unit.

Duane

/ PT dropped off at the shop! #8  
duane: <font color=red> I don't believe that removeable panels would have affected the structural integrity of the unit.</font color=red>

Get that tank hot enough and some access holes might magically appear - and right where you want 'em too.

/ PT dropped off at the shop! #9  
Dave:
Unfortunately, my camera was in Hans's truck when we saw a PT 418 in the sevice/research area at PT. What a great little machine!
The one we saw apparently is in commercial service and used all the time. It was a little rough looking, but obviously still going strong. The owner was still delighted with it after a lot of years. Unfortunately, he and a mechanic confirmed that you'll smoke the coil by applying 12V to it and taking out the engine is about the only way to get to all the shroud fasteners.
Is yours back in action yet?

Hey Charlie:

He he...actually mines a PT-1418 which (to my understanding) pre-dates even the PT-418! I think my serial# is 143!

Nope, still in the shop. I told them to take their time and do it right. Apparently, they took me a little too seriously!

Thanks for posting all the pics from your visit...

Dave