PT 425 vs PT 1430

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am very familiar with the specs of both these wonderful units and will be buying one very soon. Also, I have owned and operated a Steiner (hydrostatic, 4x4, 20 hp gas, articulating tractor) since 1988- it's time to replace. 1)If any of you have real world operating experience with both these units (425 & 1430), which would you rather own and why? 2)Is the 1430 worth the additional $? (I do expect to keep the unit for years.) 3)Do any of you have any experience converting steiner implements to run on a PT? Also, my steiner is for sale at reasonable price with: 60" mower deck, 60" hyd angle plow, 60" hyd ang broom, 48" hyd chute snow blower, aerator, leaf blower, slip scoop

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #2  
you seem to have covered all bases already. do you have any specific questions ... i would be glad to answer.
if you will do a search on most of your questions, an answer or two are discussed at great lenght.

depending on your welding, tooling and mechanical abilities your conversion from steiner to pt is not hard at all. you be the judge.

experience: 600 plus hours (in a commercial environment) on the 425, was priviledged to test an 1800 series machine with electronic override for sophisticated manipulation of the Lackender backhoe and operated 1400 series for the second time and this time just a week ago at the plant with a brand new attachment .... the 4:1 bucket.

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #3  
Richard:
I have an 1845, after looking hard at a 1430. My only justification for the bigger machine is that I mow a fair amount of pasture, and needed the mowing power. Since I got the machine, I have watched Hans with his 425 do jobs that I wouldn't have thought possible. Its small size and maneuverability is more of a plus than I would have thought. The 1430, of course, is bigger and heavier than the 400 series, but smaller than mine. Unless your projects really need the extra lift capacity, the 400 machines cost less, their attachments cost less, and more shops around the country know Kohlers and Robins than Deutz diesels. And, with the extra money you can get more attachments. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
If, however, you prefer red - Power Trac's diesel color - and really want a diesel, go for the 1430. We really need someone on the board who has one to bring the rest of us up to speed on its particular capabilities. The only experience reported so far is the test drive that a few of us have done.
For conversion of Steiner attachments, it may be a bit more complex than Hans suggested, because of the necessity to find the right size hydraulic motors and mount them on the powered devices. You might find those conversions not to be cost effective. For anything that just needs a hookup, quick attach plates are on the price lists. Hans even has a couple welded to his wing mowers so he can pick them up easily with the PT and stack them on his trailer. With the attach plates, a welder and some scrap steel, you can hook a PT to nearly anything.

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #4  
I thought the Stieners had hydraulic powered implements. If the Stiener GPM and PSI were nearly indentical to the PT, it should work, shouldn't it?

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #5  
MR:
You may be right, but the Steiners I have actually seen had a belt PTO hookup, which was also built into the Ventracs. I haven't looked at them in some time, so maybe I missed a hydraulic line of implements altogether. If they are hydraulic, of course, it may just be a plate and some hose ends.
What I recalled is on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.daveheath.com/steiner/quickhitch.html>Steiner Link</A>

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #6  
Thanks for the link. I thought they were all hydraulic, but am apparently mistaken /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif Well, at least I learned somtething new today.

If that is the case, it would be kind of expensive to get hydraulic motors, quick attach plates, etc to adapt them to the Power Trac. Might be cheaper to buy new implements.

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430
Thank you all for you responses and help. Charlie, you are right: the steiner (and ventrac as the ventrac is built by the steiner brothers now that their non-compete has passed) have a belt driven pto to power them. There are some implements that are "hydraulic", but the hydraulic pump for those implements is driven by the same belt pulley and the hydraulic pump and resevoir is part of the implement. Power to all implements comes from a belt driven pto. The steiner is a fabulous piece of equipment except when compared to the ventrac and most especially the power-trac.
Charlie, a difficult and loaded question- if you were to do it all over and purchase now with the knowledge you've gathered over the last year plus, what would you buy?? Maybe the 425??

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #8  
<font color=red>if you were to do it all over and purchase now with the knowledge you've gathered over the last year plus, what would you buy?? Maybe the 425??</font color=red>

Richard:
I examined your question carefully, and note that you asked what I "would buy", not what I "should buy" nor what I "would like to" buy.
The answer isn't 100% predictable, because even after more than a year of thinking about Power Tracs and two trips to Tazewell, the PT1845 was a bit of an impulse buy, and I've not been sorry. I wanted a machine that first had the capability to cut 15 or so acres of fairly lush pasture on a regular basis, and another 60 or so acres if necessary. Some of the cutting is on steep slopes, and I've finally gotten old enough to dislike riding a sliding tractor sideways until the hill levels out.
I wanted it so I could just get on and go, with little or no hookup or setup effort, and the mowing speed needed to be high. I also wanted to be able to cut my lawn, which was currently done with a 6' Jacobsen front mower.
Despite the overheating problem that PT is working on, the PT1845 has done a good job at its primary function. It mows fast, and now that John Coxon developed an improved blade set, it mows smoothly. I went to Tazewell to buy a 1430, but got the 1845. I'm happy with that choice, because even the 45 hp tractor bogs a bit in heavy cutting, so I don't think the 1430 would have made good speed cutting with a 72" deck in heavy stuff.
The PT1845 will do the lawn, but bridges, scalps and scuffs it a bit with the tires when backing and filling because it is simply too big and clumsy for lawn work, at least on my yard.
I didn't consider the 425, because it really could be counted on to mow only with a 48" deck in heavy going, although it would have been good for the lawn with the 60" finish deck. What I didn't look at was Hans's Kunz wing mowers. He tows two self powered Kunz mowers with the 425, giving him up to 8 feet additional cut. So:
If I had a 425 instead of the 1845, I would have less lifting capability, both in weight and height. I would have a good lawn machine, however, better suited to landscape chores. If I towed a Kunz wing mower, the setup time would be more for each field, but I might get mowing speed nearly equivalent to the PT1845 in the pastures. Every attachment I have for the 1845 is available for the 425, each for less money, and I haven't seen a job yet that the 1845 will do that the 425 can't except dump its bucket over the side of a pickup. The speed of the 1845 might be faster on some jobs because of power and reach, but the 425 is more maneuverable and will be faster in other tasks.
The difference? The 425 and implements would be $10,000 less, even after the cost of the wing mower, and with the 1845 I still need a lawn machine.
But would I definitely get a 425 if starting from now? I don't know. I really like the 1845. And some day I might buy a fence post pounder, which isn't available for the 425.
What I would like is a PT 422 or 425 and a PT 1850. but, of course, with a 35 hp engine on the 400 frame and an auger mulch bucket, and a Luginbuhl multipurpose articulated arm...and...and...

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430
Charlie:

Really appreciate your input and advice. Its interesting- my ideal solution is 2 units: a 425 and a 1460. For now I think I'm going to start with the 425, but if the 1460 had skid steer implement interchange, I might get that now also. ( I realize that by welding a custom attach plate to my skid steer hitch, the implement is attached, but I want reversible flow on the hydraulics without the manual valving as is the present solution and electric connections (not a difficult solution). I know several people who would replace or augment skid steers with PTs. I believe PT has a wonderful opportunity in that market. They would have 2 or 3 terrific machines for it with minor changes. Anyway, see we both have wish lists. Still, I'm reasonably familiar wiyh the market, and I think the PT is the best most versatile machine, and I need versatility. Thanks again.

Richard

/ PT 425 vs PT 1430 #10  
Richard,

Just read your bio. Great variety of hobbies, family and business. We hope you become a PT owner, looks like you could add a lot to our forum.

With regards to your steiner, you list that it has 2600 hours on it. Interested in how things are holding up on it. The hydraulics and gas motor are similiar to our PTs, so curious what to expect when we get to 2600 hours on our machines.

Duane