Warranty Experience

/ Warranty Experience #1  

Bob999

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 1845, Bobcat A300, JD Trail Gator
I am considering purchase of a PowerTrac. The lack of dealer support and the very restrictive warranty terms are factors that I am explicitly considering.

I would like to know current owners experience with warranty claims--both for parts warranted by PowerTrac and for parts warranted by the parts manufacturer.

As a background to my question I note that the terms of the PowerTrac warranty on the order form says that PowerTrac warrants named parts for one year (wheel motors, frames, and pumps). Other parts are said to be warranted by the manuracturer, but manufacturers are not listed, terms are not listed, etc.

Additionally the PowerTrac warranty excludes fitness for particular use. I have noted in this forum that several users have had difficulties with mower parts--particularly bearings and wheels. Were replacement parts provided under the warranty? If not, was denial based on the exclusion for fitness for particular use?

/ Warranty Experience #2  
The only time I tried to claim something under warranty was when I was mowing with the 60" finish cutter and I hit something which bent one of the spindles.

Didn't get far with the claim though as I was the one that hit the object even though I thought at the time the spindle should be able to take more abuse than that. Wasn't too fussed as a replacement was only $50....

Apart from that I have not had any other issues to warrant any claims (knock on wood) /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Warranty Experience #3  
The only experience I had with a warranty claim was that one of the hydraulic quick couplers would not release very easily. I called power trac and they promptly sent a replacement at no charge and with no fuss.

/ Warranty Experience #4  
Engine Warranty

Power Trac was not too current about the problem with the head gasket fiasco with the 25 hp Kohler engine, but informed me to contact Kohler directly.

within ten days the engine was repaired but somehow i ended up paying $200 extra for having to take the whole engine out of the tight motor compartment. come to fine out that the Kohler dealer did not know his business either ... there is a block that he can charge for additional work performed, at no cost to the owner of the engine during warranty work.

i think the warranty for Kohler engine is 400 hours or 2 years of ownership. once you get past the faucets at the internet site of Kohler Corp. there is an 800 number for you to call. these people were very helpful in locating the nearest Expert mechanic for me.

/ Warranty Experience #5  
internal warranty as far as reliability goes they are upscale. for failing parts and attachments, i have no complaints. my example is a failing stump grinder hydraulic motor, which i called in one day, described my problem and received the replacement motor overnight.

all your hydraulic stuff you can get at any hydraulic spare parts dealer and or tractor dealer if you live in the country. the only thing is you may have to shop for the best price.

i have had very little that i needed as far as pt parts goes, watch how tomorrow i need a whole bunch of them ...just kidding ... i hope?!?!?!?

Chris, Terry and Don have been very helpful with helping to fix the very minor problems i had so far.

as i always say, and i did that myself, read on this site and on other internet sites what people have to say. there is allot of information available. if the TBN search and the internet search do not clear up your doubts, please get back to me, with specific questions and i will try to answer them ... if not there are pters out there that have a much more engineering mind than i do ... i am just a t.. freak ups attachment crazy.

/ Warranty Experience #6  
Forgive me if my wording is awkword, I work 16 to 18 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. If someone asked me this question directly I would say, if you do not mind getting your hands dirty the factory will send you parts without question and talk you thru anything you can't do yourself. If you like to drop of your tractor, wright a check and have it delivered back to your house this tractor is not for you. While the tractor is extremely reliable there is no dealer service areas that I know of.

/ Warranty Experience #7  
I had a cooling fan bearing fail on a PT422. Power trac sent the new fan and i then returned the old. No questions or problems, just fast service.

/ Warranty Experience #8  
newyorktrac,

Previously, another PT poster had a hydraulic fan bearing problem. How did you notice and determine that it was your fan bearings? How many hours were on your tractor?.

thanks
Duane