Protected Valve Stems

/ Protected Valve Stems #1  

SpringHollow

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1850, NH 2120
I have been planning on welding pipe or metal to keep my valve stems from ripping out. I have never had this problem but it has happened frequentoy to others. Before i put my expensive sealer in, i figured i had better do something.

Searching for metal valve stems, i found these recessed valve stems which might be a neat solution so I ordered them:

Amazon.com: Flush Mount Chrome Valve Stem System (Set of 4): Automotive

They are meant for fancy rims but might be a neat solution to the problem. I want to sandblast my rims but once i do, i will give them a try. Inflating the inner duals would be a pain but with the sealer, that should be a rare occurrence.

Attachments

• 51LcdT-f3%2BL._SS400_.jpg
    51LcdT-f3%2BL._SS400_.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 170
   / Protected Valve Stems #2  
I have been planning on welding pipe or metal to keep my valve stems from ripping out. I have never had this problem but it has happened frequentoy to others. Before i put my expensive sealer in, i figured i had better do something.

Searching for metal valve stems, i found these recessed valve stems which might be a neat solution so I ordered them:

Amazon.com: Flush Mount Chrome Valve Stem System (Set of 4): Automotive

They are meant for fancy rims but might be a neat solution to the problem. I want to sandblast my rims but once i do, i will give them a try. Inflating the inner duals would be a pain but with the sealer, that should be a rare occurrence.

Just a word of caution if you decide to weld colars on the rims instead...

Welding on any rim with a tire mounted (even deflated with the bead broken) can have explosive results. Always completely dismount the tire first.
YouTube - Tire Explosion
http://www2.worksafebc.com/PDFs/investigations/IIR2005108320019.pdf
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=42557.0;all

/ Protected Valve Stems #3  
The last one I posted was actually the video I was looking for and has much more information than the earlier ones.

Thanks

/ Protected Valve Stems
Thanks for the warning! I am aware of the problem of welding on a rim with a tire attached. I have seen it mentioned here but I must admit it would have never occurred to me to even try doing it.

Ken

/ Protected Valve Stems #5  
Thanks for the warning! I am aware of the problem of welding on a rim with a tire attached. I have seen it mentioned here but I must admit it would have never occurred to me to even try doing it.

Ken

Good deal. I looking forward to hearing how those new stems work out.:thumbsup:

/ Protected Valve Stems #6  
It looks like they have made them even shorter now.I have used steel stems on my truck for many years. I only had one failure, due to jerk at tire repair shop. They never rot or Blow-out of wheel. I might just order some for my Bota. Thx. Jy.

/ Protected Valve Stems
Hi JY,

These are not normal metal valve stems but recessed metal valve stems

I just test fit one on a beat up spare rim I have and it looks like they will work. I can not say they will not leak yet but there was enough clearance that the cap nor the nuts hit the rim.

After I actually ry them, I wll let you know how they do.

Ken

/ Protected Valve Stems
Now the big question is, can i remove the valve stems from these in order to add the tire sealer.

Ken

just checked to see - the internal valves in the stems look like they can be removed just like normal stems

Last edited:
   / Protected Valve Stems #9  
Do you need a special air chuck to put air in the tire?

/ Protected Valve Stems
No, but you need to thread on an extension tube before you can add air. The extension has a piece of metal in it that presses down on the internal stem when you press down on the extensions internal stem with your air chuck.

I really am hoping that this works out because it is a nicer solution versus welding on pipe or plate protectors. Pure luck that i happened to see them and realized that they might work.

Ken