Snow Cheap Snow Plow

/ Cheap Snow Plow
<font color=green>what is your suggestion: wheels or no wheels to add to Cheap Plow?
No wheels; not yet - first I'd try some of those round, free to rotate, snowplow pucks and send a report. Thats what I want to try next, but a report from your test bed might save me some trouble {{grin}}</font color=green>

my homemade rubber lip (flat running surface of a poly truck tire) is not absolutely straight but notwithstanding the imperfection of my cutting job, the moving around of cinder on a long and slanted driveway (400feet) was the closest i could test the CHEAP SNOW PLOW (CSP) today,

Sedgwood you are absolutely correct ... NO WHEELS ARE NECESSARY .... in my opinion. the handcontrol, as it progresses with every hr of practicing full operation of the joystick. will do a much better job, rather than relying on the wheels.

the 2x20 inch piston with a 12 inch stroke was absolutely perfect for this application. response time to both side is equal to adjust the plowing angle. my suggestion is not to exceed the 2 inch diameter for the piston.

so my tally is $140.00 for the piston $40.00 for the labor 40.00 for the two hydraulic hoses compared to the pt $450.00 for the blade and $200.00 for the rubber lip. plus shipping.

/ Cheap Snow Plow
personally i am very much interested of how gentle but durable your plastic edge material is performing. please keep us posted. thank you and good luck

hrl v b

/ Cheap Snow Plow
well, the project is finished. we mounted a fanny flag to the rear of the motor compartment. we had one there before and the fluorescent layer disintegrated from the Kohler muffler rear discharge. with the pt engineered side and cooler discharge (as it discharges a vacuum is being created, which sucks in cooler air trough the other opening in the pt muffler) the fanny flag is protected.

but we splurged another few bucks and mounted a red strobe light drawing only 2 AMPs to the motor compartments front top. the reason for this location is in the rear the oil cooler takes up all the space (i know i could take it off). But the real reason is the ufos that fall on the motor compartments when doing tree work land mostly in the back.

now i need a outdoor multyswitch panel at least three levers ... so that becomes another search project on the internet and in the catalogs.

/ Cheap Snow Plow #34  
A picture

Attachments

• 54-230283-P1260028.JPG
    54-230283-P1260028.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 473
   / Cheap Snow Plow #35  
A question after seeing the picture--does the spring mechanism still work if you hit a solid object with the plow? I cannot tell from the picture where the plow end of the hydraulic cylinder is attached. It appears that it could be attached directly to the back of the plow which would then preclude the spring mechanism from working.

/ Cheap Snow Plow #36  
You're right. It probably twists when it trips. Hans?

Attachments

• 54-230290-P1260027.JPG
    54-230290-P1260027.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 404
   / Cheap Snow Plow
the way i have the springs set (very tight) it just gives me an indication that i have hit something, i then back up on the forward motion and lift the plow slightly to see what i hit.

/ Cheap Snow Plow #38  
What is the width of your snow plow, in the picture it looks pretty wide.

/ Cheap Snow Plow
i think 48 inches is the Bowlen portion and the wings are each 21 inches

/ Cheap Snow Plow #40  
Wow a 90" plow.

So if you found an old plow off a small truck or jeep you could probibly adapt it to work on the PT?
Tim