The break

/ The break #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So my buddy has got the connector apart.

2 really bizarre things.

first is that this break happened a LONG time ago. There is significant rust at the break point. Grumble

Second, There is a "bearing" that fits into this that the pin rides in. My mechanic looked at it and exclaimed WOW, this thing is broken. We looked at 2 others and the outer bearing is split. It is a manufacturing process. I will try and get a picture when I can.

Oh, and I thought you would appreciate the methodology my friend is using to keep the rain off the project.

Car;

Attachments

• IMG_20110326_112617.jpg
    IMG_20110326_112617.jpg
    980.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20110326_112629.jpg
    IMG_20110326_112629.jpg
    908.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20110326_112734.jpg
    IMG_20110326_112734.jpg
    829.4 KB · Views: 208
   / The break #2  
That does look bad. I am hoping that you and your mechanic can get er fixed, or get er done as the cable guy would say.

/ The break
Its back!!!!!

It is riding nice and flat (tractor had a sag I could never get rid of). The top and bottom spacers were really worn baddly so now it is sitting quite nice.

The weld is very, very thick, My buddy said that this piece has been replaced once before. In the process of removal the last time apparently they did a number on the wall. So... tomorrow, will take it out and beat it up a bit. crossing my fingers and toes

Carl

/ The break #4  
Carl, glad to here its back. Good Luck with it.

Is there anything us newbies can take away from this? Like what not to do to prevent a similar event.

It would seem to me that the spacers would wear over time, and if not replaced could cause up and down stress on the pivot point eventually causing a break...

Patrick

/ The break
That is about it for anyone in terms of inspection. remember to tighten the jesus nut as part of your maintenance and maybe make it part of a yearly inspection to look over the machine for fatigue. I generally power wash the machine once a year and then look for areas of issues of external wear. Lift Arm Brackets, steering brackets and the center connector. On mowers with 3 heads I would check the brackets closely that hold the hydraulics if you do any sort of serious brush cutting.

And be advised. I am not easy on my tractor. I was raised pushing a machine to its limits and have continued the same here (the machines I have been on where much larger, though). Aso, the history of my machine is unknown for the most part. It nearly ended its life prematurely as a donor machine before Ken saved it and had it restored.

Finally don't forget that the 1850 is a 65HP tractor on a frame that is feels to me better suited for a 35HP engine. It was a slope mower 1st and then a tractor second and I use it quite hard. I feel the other machines are better balanced (hp to structure).