Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default The break

So my buddy has got the connector apart.

2 really bizarre things.

first is that this break happened a LONG time ago. There is significant rust at the break point. Grumble

Second, There is a "bearing" that fits into this that the pin rides in. My mechanic looked at it and exclaimed WOW, this thing is broken. We looked at 2 others and the outer bearing is split. It is a manufacturing process. I will try and get a picture when I can.

Oh, and I thought you would appreciate the methodology my friend is using to keep the rain off the project.

Car;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_20110326_112617-jpg   -img_20110326_112629-jpg   -img_20110326_112734-jpg  
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Default Re: The break

That does look bad. I am hoping that you and your mechanic can get er fixed, or get er done as the cable guy would say.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Its back!!!!!

It is riding nice and flat (tractor had a sag I could never get rid of). The top and bottom spacers were really worn baddly so now it is sitting quite nice.

The weld is very, very thick, My buddy said that this piece has been replaced once before. In the process of removal the last time apparently they did a number on the wall. So... tomorrow, will take it out and beat it up a bit. crossing my fingers and toes

Carl

Tractor
    PT425 (Dec 2010)

Carl, glad to here its back. Good Luck with it.

Is there anything us newbies can take away from this? Like what not to do to prevent a similar event.

It would seem to me that the spacers would wear over time, and if not replaced could cause up and down stress on the pivot point eventually causing a break...

Patrick
    I married me a hippy, ran away with a stringy haired blond,
    Now we're both old and happy, fishing on our own Golden Pond. -- Merle Haggard

PT 425 (Dec 2010), Blade, Snow Blower, Sweeper, Spreader, LMB, 4n1, Small Bucket/Teeth, Utility Grapple, Brush Cutter, Box Blade, Mini Hoe/Thumb, Forks, Power Dumper

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

That is about it for anyone in terms of inspection. remember to tighten the jesus nut as part of your maintenance and maybe make it part of a yearly inspection to look over the machine for fatigue. I generally power wash the machine once a year and then look for areas of issues of external wear. Lift Arm Brackets, steering brackets and the center connector. On mowers with 3 heads I would check the brackets closely that hold the hydraulics if you do any sort of serious brush cutting.

And be advised. I am not easy on my tractor. I was raised pushing a machine to its limits and have continued the same here (the machines I have been on where much larger, though). Aso, the history of my machine is unknown for the most part. It nearly ended its life prematurely as a donor machine before Ken saved it and had it restored.

Finally don't forget that the 1850 is a 65HP tractor on a frame that is feels to me better suited for a 35HP engine. It was a slope mower 1st and then a tractor second and I use it quite hard. I feel the other machines are better balanced (hp to structure).

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Nice job on the repair! How about some "after" shots?
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!