PT422 engine swap completed (with pics)

/ PT422 engine swap completed (with pics) #11  
Thanks!

There is a picture of the gas tank and return line in my 5th post above. Is that what you were looking for? Also, in the very last pic I posted you can see the return line wrapping around the back of the engine under the air filter cover. That's where is starts and then is routed along the same path as my main fuel line back to the tank.

Regarding the key way. I was a little concerned too, so I ground down the key stock to match up with shaft as much as possible. About 2/3 of the key stock is untouched, and the back side of it tapers in an arc mimicking the key way. While grinding, I would stop and test fit over and over until it was right, and it was still over half its original thickness at its thinnest point. I'm pretty certain it will hold. Plus, the original coupler used much smaller key stock even compared to the one I modified.

Thanks for everyone's input! :thumbsup:

I see it now. Thanks. Sounds like you did a good job on the keyway. Good technique on fitting it.

/ PT422 engine swap completed (with pics) #12  
Great job on the engine swap and documentation for the rest of us; thx!!

When you decide to replace this EFI engine, you can show us how to put the 2cyl. Kohler diesel in... ;)

Cheers,

/ PT422 engine swap completed (with pics)
Thanks PTWannaHave! The diesel swap may be quite a ways off (or at least I hope so). :)

It hasn't been particularly cold here lately, but it was in the low 40's this morning. I tried starting the tractor and it fired right up. My previous '06 EH65 would have struggled at this temperature.

It's not a great test for cold weather starting, but it's definitely better so far.

Okay, so the new engine has been running fine except I've been experiencing vapor lock when mowing on warmer days. After 45 min or so it will stall out and I have to let it cool down. I re-routed the new fuel lines and installed a new gas cap hoping it would help. I think it did a bit, such that it takes a little longer before it happens but it isn't fixed. I was finishing up mowing one night in between rain storms and noticed the muffler glowing orange right where the stock manifold mates up with the PT muffler. Like most owners on here, I never liked the stock exhaust setup and wanted to replace it. With the new vapor lock issue, I figured I'd bite the bullet and see if swapping it out for something better would help.

Today I bought a new muffler kit for the Subraru V-twin series of engines. The part number is 92630044, and can be found online for just under $150. There is a fancier kit available for a bit more money, but this one looks like it's easier to modify to fit my tractor. I got lucky and found an old Ebay listing for this kit that didn't sell. I contacted the guy and he re-listed it for me. I ended up getting it for $58 shipped and it should arrive next week. If nothing else, I'll feel better having an OEM exhaust on this engine.

I'll try to post some pics of the installation. I've attached a pic from the Ebay auction.

Attachments

• muffler.JPG
    muffler.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 325
  • muffler2.JPG
    muffler2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 314
   / PT422 engine swap completed (with pics) #15  
So when a muffler is running red hot it might be a sign of running too rich. At least that applies to muscle cars that I have had. I don't know anything about Subaru v-twins so take this all with a grain of salt.

So when a muffler is running red hot it might be a sign of running too rich. At least that applies to muscle cars that I have had. I don't know anything about Subaru v-twins so take this all with a grain of salt.
Really? I always equated "hot" with running lean... running rich should cool things down, no?

Anyway, I think the hotness is due to poor design more than anything. The stock PT muffler just isn't very good. I've already had to drill out the manifold for better flow since some of the tubing wasn't lined up correctly and overlapped the holes. My new engine is fuel injected, so I don't think there is a lot I can do regarding fuel mixture.

I've attached pics of the new muffler kit installed. I added a short piece of pipe between the manifold and muffler. I cut down a section from a pole lying around that was once used in a large tent made for parking cars under, etc... The manifold diameter is much smaller than what's used for autos, so it was harder to find parts. I got a bit lucky. I also had to cut the bonnet since the manifold sits much higher than the PT unit. I still have to reinforce it around the cut, but haven't gotten to it yet. I only bolted the bottom portion of the muffler mount to give it a bit of flexibility when the engine is idling and vibrating side to side. It is definitely quieter, but not an enormous difference. It may be in my head, or the different sound signature, but it seems to runs "smoother" too. :)

Regarding the vapor lock, I removed the elbow on the bottom of the tank and found a large chunk of plastic blocking it up. When draining the tank, it went really, really slow so I wasn't surprised to find a blockage. I haven't mowed the lawn yet, but I'd be shocked if the vapor lock occurred again, especially with the new muffler arrangement.

Attachments

• exhaust1.jpg
    exhaust1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 380
  • exhaust3.jpg
    exhaust3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 385
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 370
   / PT422 engine swap completed (with pics) #19  
It looks like you connected the muffler to the power trac body. Since the engine is on flex mounts I think you need a flexible mount to the body. This is the way cars do it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It looks like you connected the muffler to the power trac body. Since the engine is on flex mounts I think you need a flexible mount to the body. This is the way cars do it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Hi Bob,

Yeah, I only bolted the very bottom part of the muffler mount (which was bent to fit the application). It allows the top portion where the manifold connects to flex back and forth slightly. I watched how it moved before mounting it, and the engine mostly shakes side to side a bit (particularly at idle). I may also add a rubber "washer" in between the mount and tractor body.

I'll keep an eye on it either way. :thumbsup:

Thanks!