Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    PT422 w/ EH72FI engine swap

Default Re: PT422 engine swap completed (with pics)

Tim,

I welded the flanges. I actually cut them from the Robin pipe to re-purpose for my custom one.

I'm going to see how this one works for a while. If for some reason I don't think it's the right solution, I might make another one using larger diameter pipe, overall shorter length, and a different muffler.

Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

Anyone know if the flanges on the Kohler Command pro engine exhaust manifolds are the same dimensions as the Robin? You can buy flanges with stub tubes on them for the kohler, which woul dbe an easy way to start building your own exhaust manifold.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Gold Member
    Tractor

Tim, I can't recall with 100% certainty, but when I was looking at re-doing my exhaust a few years ago I saw the Kohler "stub" flanges and felt like they would work. I might have even mentioned it in one of my threads. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

Gold Member
    Tractor

Quick year #3 update:

EH72FI is still going strong. The latest exhaust update is working out nicely, and it seems to running much better after modifying the engine shroud for easy access and removing some mice nests. I don't know if I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I moved the fuel line, filter and pump to the opposite site of the tub to avoid the heat from the muffler and oil filter/cooler assembly. That, along with wrapping the exhaust manifold, seems to have cured my vapor lock issues. Yesterday I used the forks, bucket, brush mower and mini-hoe to clean out and extend a swale on my property to try to fix up some wet areas that have been forming. The whole thing probably took me about an hour... and I can't imagine doing without the help of something like my PT. I really need this machine to stay running this well for a long, long time.

One more thing; the new engine does start a bit better in the cold compared to my EH65, but it's not an enormous improvement (maybe 10-15 degrees lower or so). The next biggest issue is the load from the pump trying to push cold, heavy oil through the system. I'm convinced that other engines (i.e. the older Kohler models) start better in the cold, but I'm hoping to build a large barn in the next few months with electricity available making this a non-issue moving forward.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234