Is Ventrac tough enough?

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #11  
Carb issues. But id be willing to bet it has more to do with lubrication. Probably a different sump configuration on the diesel to prevent starving for oil. Or maybe something in the heads to prevent the buildup of oil.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #12  
Carb issues. But id be willing to bet it has more to do with lubrication. Probably a different sump configuration on the diesel to prevent starving for oil. Or maybe something in the heads to prevent the buildup of oil.

Lubrication is the reason for the slope limitation on my Kohler powered PT425. It won't oil itself past 25 degrees.

Maybe we should get aerobatic rated engines like airplanes! :laughing:

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #13  
I would still like to see videos of someone on a Ventrac changing from the loader to a mower and back again, just to see how long it takes and what is involved. Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I use my Power Trac as a powered wheel barrow about once a week while doing yard chores. I clean out our flower beds, move firewood, move mulch, yard debris from wind damage, etc... Then I drop the bucket and pick up the mower in about 45 seconds and off I go to mow. Can that be done on a Ventrac with a cab?

Another example is when I take the PT to our rural property. I take two buckets, forks and the brush hog on the trailer. I can switch between the attachments at will over and over again. I do not have to plan my chores in advance. If someone needs both FEL and mower capabilities as often as I do, that can be important.

On the other hand, snow blowing in the great white north with a cab would be a sweet deal! As it currently stands, I have to bundle up pretty much the same as I do to go ice fishing if I have to plow the drive in winter. I do not have that cab option for my Power Trac without involving a 3rd party or making one myself. That could be a very important point for someone that lives in snow country.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #14  
Lubrication is the reason for the slope limitation on my Kohler powered PT425. It won't oil itself past 25 degrees.

Maybe we should get aerobatic rated engines like airplanes! :laughing:

What is the effect on the machine? Stalling? I went up a > 30 degree slope with the brush cutter (about 12 feet is distance). The tractor stalled near the top. It started to slowly roll backward. I had plenty of time to turn off the PTO and restart the engine. I then could use the forward treadle to control the backward decent. Now I go up the hill at a shallower point and down at the steepest.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough?
Anyone ever try out the Kawasaki engine or the air-cooled Vanguard on a Ventrac?

By the way, a snowmobile suit, including helmet with visor, and heated gloves are a good alternative to a cab! And then you won't feel confined in the summer and you'll have better visibility! The Ventrac cab is not easily removed.

Last edited:
   / Is Ventrac tough enough? #16  
What is the effect on the machine? Stalling? I went up a > 30 degree slope with the brush cutter (about 12 feet is distance). The tractor stalled near the top. It started to slowly roll backward. I had plenty of time to turn off the PTO and restart the engine. I then could use the forward treadle to control the backward decent. Now I go up the hill at a shallower point and down at the steepest.

The effect on the machine is no oil in the oil pump. That could lead to bearing failure, etc...

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #17  
Anyone ever try out the Kawasaki engine or the air-cooled Vanguard on a Ventrac?

Looks like I am late to the party, TBN is a goldmine!:licking:

I have the 4131 air-cooled unit and love it. Easy maintenance and I have well over 2k hours on it and it runs like new. I ran the Kawasaki unit at the dealership but felt like it was a bit underpowered, not sure why, but the Vanguard 31hp air-cooled engine won me over and has performed like a champ.

As far as reliability and toughness I don't think you can beat Ventrac machines especially for their size and class. They are built for commercial use and are quality through and through, plus the service and company are always improving and listening to their customers! I mow, use the snowblower (which is incredible btw:thumbsup:) and have a slip scoop.

I am not sure why people are talking about the loader on this thread since all you are asking for is the excavator or slip scoop. Different items for different solutions. If I am mistaken correct me, but if you don't need a high lift, the slip scoop will outperform any loader imo. You can be much more agile with it, it is so easy to control and you have a lot of pushing power behind it with the Ventrac. I move mulch, have done a patio, carry logs or rocks with it and many other things. The mower will give you a beautiful cut (unmatched imo), snow blower will clear your driveway out in the harshest weather, and the slipscoop or excavator bucket will be your workhorse around the house. I did use the tough cut at an open house and that thing is a beast but I have no use for it at home :(

I see you live in N. MN so were you thinking cab? I don't have one, but the new ones sure are tempting. Only thing to think about if you want the cab, the dealer told me the air cooled unit doesn't have heat available for the cab and the kawasaki engine has a smaller alternator which i guess with all the optional lights on the cab, heat, and tractor lights, you can drain the battery? I'm not in the coldest area although we get a lot of snow, so I figured I would never need the heat even if I got the cab.

You should not have ANY problems getting this thing around rough terrain, these things are built like tanks just like Jack said. As I get older and have more back problems I realize how nice it is to have a Ventrac because it is much easier to get on and off and all the controls are very easy. My sons ride on mower is a pain (literally) for me to get on and off and try to operate.

As far as maintenance is concerned, I just follow my operators manual and have never actually had to take it back to my dealer for warranty repair. Treat them right and they will outlast you. So if you can do regular maintenance you should be great!

So are you going to regret an expensive purchase? I don't see how you would in this case, but I would recommend trying to get to the dealer in Minneapolis, maybe meet halfway? See the units in person, feel the quality, get a ride on them and see if they are for you. The safety, comfort, and efficiency that they provide you will pay for themselves.

Sorry I rambled a lot and probably repeated many things :D

Thanks Johnny,

I was wondering about the air-cooled unit. I figured it might be noisy, but heck, I use ear plugs anyway! I ran an old Power King air-cooled Kohler for 20 years with no problems, so I appreciate your comments.

I know some of the options are different for the air-cooled unit, but the price and less maintenance might make it a winner. The 31-hp Vanguard air-cooled lists at $16,445 (vs $19,775 for the 4231 model), but then you have to add the rear weights and weight transfer system that are standard on the 4231. Still it sounds like a good deal to me. I'm glad you responded!

Danny

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #19  
Thanks Johnny,

I was wondering about the air-cooled unit. I figured it might be noisy, but heck, I use ear plugs anyway! I ran an old Power King air-cooled Kohler for 20 years with no problems, so I appreciate your comments.

I know some of the options are different for the air-cooled unit, but the price and less maintenance might make it a winner. The 31-hp Vanguard air-cooled lists at $16,445 (vs $19,775 for the 4231 model), but then you have to add the rear weights and weight transfer system that are standard on the 4231. Still it sounds like a good deal to me. I'm glad you responded!

Danny

Lot of stuff here. Danny, when you go to the 4231 you get more than just an engine upgrade. I forget everything, but the foot spikes are really nice, and I wouldn't get one without them.

Johnny, one great thing about the VT is the seat. Better suspension than my $50,000 John Deere.

Moss, putting the loader on is definitely not quick. Like Johnny said, the slip scoop can be used to move stuff, but I would have to disagree with him that it is as good as a loader. No way..... You are right, nothing can do mowing and loading as good as a PT. The change time between the slip scoop and the mower is similar to the PT.

Cab is beautiful on the VT, but that thing has to be heavy. Two man job to take it off for sure.

Ventrac Cab Accessories

I just wanted mention that I have absolutely nothing against Power Trac, nor was I trying to start any brand arguments. But like Badback, I wasn't sold on their snowblower, and I also hesitate to have a unit shipped all the way from Virginia sight unseen. I can go down to Mpls and check out the Ventracs and Steiners pretty easily.

Bulldog, the footrests are a $55 option on the 4131.

Danny