Is Ventrac tough enough?

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #71  
Thank you for your input. I have heard this before, and have often wondered why the people that designed Steiner from the start didn't do the changes untill they sold it and then started making another one. I hear there are are some people that do not like the Ventrac controls. or at least wish there were something better... Maybe when Steiner comes out with their new tractor they will have some new features on it that will please alot of customers.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #72  
I test drove a Steiner 430, Ventrac 4000 series and 3000 series recently all at the same dealer. They were all impressive machines to me. However, coming from a JD 2210 tractor, I was really missing the pedal for forward/reverse motion. When I drove the Steiner, I had a hard time adjusting to the hand lever and that was without trying to adjust an implement such as a blade.

Both Ventracs had the pedal option (standard on the 3000 series) and that helped me acclimate to the machines much more quickly (there is still an adjustment to the whole articulating tractor concept for me). The dealer even indicated they would simply throw in the pedal as it was a relatively inexpensive add-on. I came away thinking the 3223D was what I would want, as the 4000 series was likely too much for my needs. Budget was a factor as well. If I fell into the money, I might go with a 4227, but I have to say the maneuverability and line of sight on the 3000 series is very impressive for a guy who does mostly mowing. Regardless, I'd have to have that pedal option. I cannot imagine running a front-end loader very well having to use my hand to control direction as well as bucket and lift.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #73  
I dispise the travel controls on the Ventrac, just plain pi$$ poor design. The Ventrac controls are much easier to deal with

I assume you meant Steiner in the first sentence? Else I am confused, because the next sentence says different?

The only people I hear that don't like the Ventrac controls are longtime Steiner operators or people that are very used to foot control (marnett). Very understandable, people hate things that are different from what they have grown accustomed too. But just like anything, a little time, you get very used to different types of controls. The Ventrac controls are indeed a much nicer ergonomic design than the Steiner controls, but they are different. If you don't think they make more sense think about operating scoops or blades. Palm of your hand can use the auxiliary lever on the Ventrac (One hand total for auxiliary, speed, and direction.) The Steiner you need to operate speed and direction with the right hand, then reach across with your left hand and use the auxiliary. This can be mastered with some work, but it is not near as effective as one handed operation.

In the end I love the controls on the Ventrac. Act as an armrest, not much effort needed to move forward or back and they are very intuitive.

Why didn't the Steiner brothers do the new design from the start or change before selling? Who knows. It was designed in the 70's, maybe that seemed like the best option at the time? They didn't have the idea until later on when they decided to build a commercial piece? Sometimes it takes time away from something till you can refresh your mind on a new route to take? Maybe they had some other learning experience along the way? Interesting question to ask them though.

@marnett
I think you will be very satisfied with the 3000 series. My buddy has one and it is a sweet machine!

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #74  
I second the 3000 series. I have the diesel unit and it has had plenty of power for anything I wanted to do. The visibility is also nice.

I did just price out a 4227, what a unit. If I needed more power and weight I would take the plunge I just can not justify it and I would lose too much on my attachments for the 3000 series.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #75  
I test drove a Steiner 430, Ventrac 4000 series and 3000 series recently all at the same dealer. They were all impressive machines to me. However, coming from a JD 2210 tractor, I was really missing the pedal for forward/reverse motion. When I drove the Steiner, I had a hard time adjusting to the hand lever and that was without trying to adjust an implement such as a blade.

Both Ventracs had the pedal option (standard on the 3000 series) and that helped me acclimate to the machines much more quickly (there is still an adjustment to the whole articulating tractor concept for me). The dealer even indicated they would simply throw in the pedal as it was a relatively inexpensive add-on. I came away thinking the 3223D was what I would want, as the 4000 series was likely too much for my needs. Budget was a factor as well. If I fell into the money, I might go with a 4227, but I have to say the maneuverability and line of sight on the 3000 series is very impressive for a guy who does mostly mowing. Regardless, I'd have to have that pedal option. I cannot imagine running a front-end loader very well having to use my hand to control direction as well as bucket and lift.

I have the 4231TD, and I don't even have the pedal. The pedal tends to get clogged up with grass clippings anyway, and it just isn't very smooth on the 4000 series. The pedal system on the PT's is soooooooo much better.

Anyways, I have come very comfortable controlling the speed with the lever. I don't have any trouble, but I have never used the bucket option. Keeping a hand on the lever is no problem when mowing or plowing.

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #76  
NFL quarterback Jeff Hostetler on a Ventrac ...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lccliABroYk]Professional Mower for NFL Quarterback - YouTube[/ame]

/ Is Ventrac tough enough? #77  
That's pretty cool :thumbsup: