changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter

/ changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #1  

kjm3232

Silver Member
Tractor
power-trac 1430
has anyone purchased the 6 blade grass cutter disc and attached it to the brush cutter frame? i purchased one last fall and started to take the brush mower apart to attach it and cant figure out how to get the big round bowl of the old brush cutter off and how to attach the disk. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

Attachments

• 100_0507.jpg
    100_0507.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 546
  • 100_0509.jpg
    100_0509.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 351
  • 100_0511.jpg
    100_0511.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_0512.jpg
    100_0512.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 282
   / changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #2  
Holy cow that looks like a big old wheel of destruction!!! :eek:

No clue how to get that hub off of the shaft.

/ changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #3  
   / changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #4  
I think I would call Terry at PT. I believe it uses a different shaft, and gets rid of the drum

/ changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #5  
The 6 blade disk attatches to the "stump jumper" drum. there are 4 bolts holding the drum on...two of the bolts act as pivot points for the brush blades.

Per the instructions from PT that came with mine: Remove all four bolts and attach disk using the 4 new bolts (they're all the same length). Although you can't see it in this picture...the drum is there.

Attachments

• 6-blade.jpg
    6-blade.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 761
   / changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #6  
Just an observation but wonder why blades have two bolts and not just one shoulder bolt so that blade can spin if need be. Pretty much same concept as discbine. And that is how they are designed.

/ changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #7  
the disk attaches to the stump jumper, do yourself a favor and put on blades that utilizes one shoulder bolt and pivot freely ie; saves you the hassle of searching for blades after the two bolts holding the blade break off , I originally put a grade 8 bolt in one hole and a grade 2 in the other as a shear bolt, but it is still a time consuming process and I still lost blades, now I use short swinging blades I bought at the local farm supply store, 100+ hours with no problems

/ changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #8  
looks like the wrong bolt pattern on the disk, mine only has 4 bolt holes and bolts to where the original bush hog blades bolted to

/ changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter #9  
kjm3232,

Can you tell us what that 6 bld kit cost?

Is the shaft welded to the drum assembly?

/ changing brush cutter out for 6 blade grass cutter
looks like the wrong bolt pattern on the disk, mine only has 4 bolt holes and bolts to where the original bush hog blades bolted to

i didn't get any directions with this on how to mount it, other than the blades were bolted inwards for shipping. when i started to put this together i thought that it would have made sense to bolt it directly to the bottom where the brush cutter blades were attached to. but as you can see in my 1st photo, the bolt holes align at the top which hold the shaft to the brush cutter deck and not to where the blades are at the bottom. i figured that PT has some other design in mind because what they put together doesn't always make sense to us. Now that i saw red zebra's picture of how it's supposed to be i see that PT messed up with the bolt hole alignment.

jj i think i paid $350 for it.

thanks everyone for the responses and the pic on how it is supposed to be.