Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Robin engine failure to start when cold - 422

My 422 has always been difficult to start cold. I would like to have my coils and starter also replaced, but my engine number is before 1016365.
    Whom did you contract at Robin? I wouldd like to call them to asked for these parts.
    Other than the engine failing to start when cold, my PT has been a wonder.

The parts I need are on b.o. to RobinAmerica but my parts are not on order yet...The dealer has to order parts thru the dist. and the dist. then orders parts thru Robin America...that's the chain they like to follow...The particular dealer I've chosen has not ordered my parts yet because he just submitted his first claims w/ Robin from the pair of 2400's he has just worked on and is unsure if he will do more work for them if claims go unpaid (he has no claims experience with them yet)...right now he's looking at another 4-6 weeks of waiting for his money according to Robin policy...

I asked my dist. about doing the work myself (no charge for labor)and she said she can send me to a different dealer...go here for the New York? distributor...then get a list of dealers near you and "interview" them. They have allowed "remote" end users to do their own warranty work,but its rare the dist. said.
    http://www.robinamerica.com/distributors/engine.html
    On the home page of this link you'll see the Robin America # for the factory rep.

Bullitt,
    They appeared to at first, but I also had a trouble light down on the crankcase to warm things up...but, after leaving it for a couple hrs. and trying again(no trouble light) it failed to start. My local Car Quest had the NGK's @2.69.
    That carb observation was a mystery and I suppose I should try it myself with it on the engine...just pull the top,fill it,cover it and come back to obseve later in the day to see if it turned to vapor...

Tractor
    PowerTrac PT422 & Ford 1910

newyorktrac,

My serial number is also prior to the 1016365 number previously noted by bullitt. My serial number is 1010611 (I believe - I'm going on memory here). Ernemats, it looks like we're close to being in the same batch.

I'm planning on letting the Robin-Subaru warranty dealer figure out what exactly my problem is. I suspect it either will be the coils and the 1016365 number is not the lowest number where this occurred or some other problem that hasn't been found yet. I am disheartened to hear that the coils are backordered. I guess I'll be without the PT422 for awhile if that's what appears to be the problem!

Good luck to all....we'll get this figured out yet!

Brent

I had called " Jack"at Robin this morning and was told thay my coils are ok, but the starter motor is weak. I am out of warranty, but I think that they will honor the starter replacement.
    I must call back next week as the starter motors are back ordered nationally.
    Jack would like to have a local Robin dealer do the work, but any local dealer that I had called would not work on the PT, especially for only 2 to 3 hours warranty labor. I must admit, neither would I. I hope that they will allow me to install it. I have ordered the engine service and parts manuals today.

I shall call next week and see if they cover the starter, $400 for a new one seems to be a bit high. I have been using a magnetic heater and the 422 started on the first try , temp about 28 .
    Andrew

Check this...
    http://www.ketchum-hurricane.com/enginesale.htm
    how's $700 for spare parts in a preassembled form(may not be right spec code for a drop in replacement, though)...And, if the coils are the wrong ones on this motor,then warranty will get those replaced.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac

I just came in from gettting some seat time on my 422. We had about 2 inches of fresh snow today. it is 22 degrees out and my 422 is kept in an unheated garage with no heater on the 422. It started up on the second try, sputtered for a while , turned the choke to 1/2 left idle for a minute and off I went. Ran it about 20 minutes till I got cold and got the driveway done. It seems to be starting ok since I put a new fuel filter in and cleaned the spark plugs and changed to a different brand of gas. I realize that is not the problem others are having. I have never had a problem starting mine in the cold weather other years.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Steiner 430

I think I need to look into this coil and starter.

Tractor
    power trac 425

20 degrees here in cicero ny have had to jump start my 422 anything below 40 deg
    2 weeks ago added seafoam to my gas tank. 4 days ago did my 20 hour engine oil change and
    used mobil1 0w30 and chged filter. machine started right up on second turn of the key.I will fire it up again
    this week if it gets colder than 20d or if we get more snow. I'll keep letting everyone know how it goes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123