Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw?

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw? #1  

Clumber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601 HST Nov 2019
Folks, I am considering using the Sabre Samurai Saw to trim trees, and along ponds and ditches:
http://www.cutthat.com/features.html

I think this will work in the manner described below. However, I am still concerned about the max operating pressure of 500psi. Will restricting the throttle also keep the PSI within range? I think that using the PTO rather than the Aux is the way to go. Any suggestions are appreciated.

----------------
You are correct you could control the speed the cutter operates by varying the rpm of your tractor. You just need to make sure the cutter knives can be seen with the naked eye, if they are going faster and are a blur to the eye than you are outside the operating range.

The operating flow rate of the cutter is 3.3 gpm with a maximum operating pressure of 500psi.

Regards,

Grant Gaudes
Canadian Agri Technologies Inc.
1 866 792-8437 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1 866 792-8437******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
www.cutthat.com
Sabre Crop Dividers

I am interested in the Sabre product. I need to determine if I need to install a flow regulator to operate the saw on my tractor. My tractor is the Power Trac 425 Utility tractor (Versatile Tractors,Compact Tractors,Trailer Packages,Landscaping,Utility Vehicle Rentals,Mowers-Power Trac.

I have two possible hyd take-offs.

1. PTO- 8 GPM @ 2500 PSI, 1/2" hoses.

2. Aux- 4 GPM @ ????, 1/4" hoses.

I think that using the PTO to drive the sabre while keeping the throttle at less that 1/2, and manage the cutter speed by eyeballing the cutters, I can control the GPM without a flow regulator. What do you think?

Also, I'm confused -- your home page spec says: 3.3 GPM at less than 500 psi during normal operation, while the manual says the motor Hydraulic Pump requirements - minimum flow of 10
GPM @ 500 psi????

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw? #2  
Folks, I am considering using the Sabre Samurai Saw to trim trees, and along ponds and ditches:
http://www.cutthat.com/features.html

I think this will work in the manner described below. However, I am still concerned about the max operating pressure of 500psi. Will restricting the throttle also keep the PSI within range? I think that using the PTO rather than the Aux is the way to go. Any suggestions are appreciated.

----------------
You are correct you could control the speed the cutter operates by varying the rpm of your tractor. You just need to make sure the cutter knives can be seen with the naked eye, if they are going faster and are a blur to the eye than you are outside the operating range.

The operating flow rate of the cutter is 3.3 gpm with a maximum operating pressure of 500psi.

Regards,

Grant Gaudes
Canadian Agri Technologies Inc.
1 866 792-8437 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************1 866 792-8437******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
www.cutthat.com
Sabre Crop Dividers

I am interested in the Sabre product. I need to determine if I need to install a flow regulator to operate the saw on my tractor. My tractor is the Power Trac 425 Utility tractor (Versatile Tractors,Compact Tractors,Trailer Packages,Landscaping,Utility Vehicle Rentals,Mowers-Power Trac.

I have two possible hyd take-offs.

1. PTO- 8 GPM @ 2500 PSI, 1/2" hoses.

2. Aux- 4 GPM @ ????, 1/4" hoses.

I think that using the PTO to drive the sabre while keeping the throttle at less that 1/2, and manage the cutter speed by eyeballing the cutters, I can control the GPM without a flow regulator. What do you think?

Also, I'm confused -- your home page spec says: 3.3 GPM at less than 500 psi during normal operation, while the manual says the motor Hydraulic Pump requirements - minimum flow of 10
GPM @ 500 psi????

I wouldn't even consider using it without some sort of pressure regulator.

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw? #3  
I have one for mine and have used it quite a bit. I fabricated a couple different attachments for it so I can use it as an out front cutter. It works great on all my briers around here. I tinkered with the original clamp so it will tilt in the directions I want it to. You have to get a diverter. I found mine on ebay for about $55 so you can reduce the flow and still have wheel speed and torque.

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw?
Thanks Gravy and Coolconnection for responding. I see that it is going to be more complicated but doable. Coolconnection, do you employ a pressure regulator as Gravy suggest? Can you please post a photo or video of your fabrications? Do you run the saw off the Aux or PTO circuits? Also, as I am new to hydraulics. I don't understand the need for a diverter to maintain wheel speed & torque -- e.g., I can run a demanding brush cutter without the need for a diverter? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw? #5  
Nope, no pressure regulator. The diverter really cuts down the pressure, it would probably be wise to have one but I don't and it works fine for me. If it catches on something big I just shut the PTO off. I use the PTO with the diverter. Well if you slow the engine down so the cutter works at the proper speed you really don't have much hydraulic pressure to turn the wheels. I have hills and slopes so torque is needed for what I use it for. If your lot is relatively flat it may not be a problem. Like my college professors always said, "no such thing as a dumb question". I will have to post pics in a few weeks, no time right now.

Nope, no pressure regulator. The diverter really cuts down the pressure, it would probably be wise to have one but I don't and it works fine for me. If it catches on something big I just shut the PTO off. I use the PTO with the diverter. Well if you slow the engine down so the cutter works at the proper speed you really don't have much hydraulic pressure to turn the wheels. I have hills and slopes so torque is needed for what I use it for. If your lot is relatively flat it may not be a problem. Like my college professors always said, "no such thing as a dumb question". I will have to post pics in a few weeks, no time right now.

Thanks, looking forward to those pics. Is a diverter a flow regulator? Am also wondering if the saw can be run off the Aux which already has a low flow of < 4 GPM -- maybe would not need a diverter...

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw? #7  
Clumber: I would strongly suggest that you use what is called a pressure compensated flow control valve to run this piece of equipment. This is a very accurate device to control the speed of a piece of equipment regardless of engine speed. You can find them at any hydraulic supply company in the yellow pages or at the Surplus place in the midwest that everyone refers to on here. Brand Hydraulics makes a good one. You need a small one with a 10 GPM capacity. It will have three ports: The "P" port receives oil from the pressure line on your 425 PTO circuit. The CF or controlled flow will conect via hose TO your cutter tool, and the "EF" port on the valve (excess flow) will go back into a "T" fitting in which you will also install the return line hose from your tool. As the engine speeds up the excess flow from the fixed displacement pump is simply dumped back into the tank. The controled flw is set using a small lever on the vlave at whatever speed you want the cutter to operate.

Also: If the motor on your cutter tool does not have a bypass pressure relief valve built in, then install one with three ports, pre set to the max operating pressure of cutter. This will connect via a pipe nipple with the inlet port of the flow control and the pressure line from the PT. The pressure relief valve oil will dump oil back into the PT return line via another "t" in the hose returning oil to the quick disconect return line in the event your blade ever jams, you cannot react as fast as the valve can! You will basically make up a "kit" with quick disconnect fittings to match the PTO fittings on your 425. It can all be made very compact using the right fittings from your hydraulic supplier mounted on a small steel or aluminum panel with the valves on it which can bolt onto the quick attach plate adapter you will inevitably need to mount this cutter. You can purchase a couple of PT's quick disconect fittings and have your local supplier make up half inch ID jumper hoses to connect from your new valves to the PT. You will start and stop the cutter with your current toggle switch on the dash. If you draw this out on note paper it is quite a simple circuit and will work like a champ.:thumbsup:

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw? #8  
The info you have about pressure is wrong or misleading. The hyd motor drive has no problem at 2500psi. Call the manufacturer.
larry

The info you have about pressure is wrong or misleading. The hyd motor drive has no problem at 2500psi. Call the manufacturer.
larry

Are you referring to the info on the Sabre Samurai Saw. The manufacturer says the saw operates at 3.3 GPM at max 500 PSI.

/ Can PT-425 handle Sabre Saw? #10  
FAZTRAC is correct and that is what I have. I should have said that but I had diverter stuck on the brain. It controls the hydraulic flow to the tool and diverts the rest to EF back to the pump. Got all the hoses and fittings from TSC except for the hydraulic connectors. Prince makes a good flow control valve but I wanted cheap and found it on ebay but searching I cannot find the web site anymore. It was brand new but made in china. It works good though.
If and when I get pictures you will see what I have. 2" square pipe is a little pricey but if you go to a steel supplier it will be in 10 to 20 foot lengths, priced per foot but more if you don't want the whole bar and they cut to length. Ask for a DROP which is a smaller piece that someone else didn't want the entire length and they paid for the price hit. Usually you can get it that way much cheaper.